Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The big bang!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it wasn't horrible not to exist, as you can't have an opinion of your non-existance [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] . You have no thoughts, and are nothing. Atleast, that's the eatheist view. I personally believe in reincarnation though, so I'm sure I've existed in some form for quite some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a specific question?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Oct. 18 2005,11:14)]Was it horrible to not exist before you were born?
    I hated it. Things are much better with me around.

This explanation isn't as flashy as the more detailed cosmologies you can find, but it is general enough that pretty much everything in it is true. I'm not sure if virtual pairs is a truly analagous behavior to the big bang, though. At the very least, this is a good introduction to virtual particles.
    There is the cosmology from string theory that describes the big bang as the collision and intersection of two or more "universes" of greater dimension than ours. I believe the analogy was drawn with two-dimensional shadows being flat projections of three-dimensional objects. The abundance and concentration of matter (as opposed to antimatter) is then related to the configurations of the intersecting figures, the way that a red light and a green light produce yellow light when their projections intersect on a white surface. By my understanding, it's not actually definite if these intersecting objects behave much like universes or if they are things of a different nature entirely, but their existance is somehow a consequence of string theory's interpretation of observed fact.
    This theory doesn't seem to address the apparent abundance of matter in our universe. Last I read, the physics community was fairly confident that the universe had a significant absence of stable antimatter. So I'm a little puzzled by the sudden conclusion that virtual pairs somehow managed to bend the universe into shape without unbending it a moment later. It just doesn't fit. A lot of energy exists as matter today, and the more energy borrowed to create a virtual pair, the sooner the pair annihilates. Maybe somebody in the physics community could elaborate on this and explain it to me, because I'm just a hobbyist for now.
    I also don't like the way they turn the void into such a big deal. They certainly didn't do their research on it - the idea of zero has been present in mathematics for well over a thousand years and with it the philosophical implications of non-quantity, and the concept of void has been central to Buddhism, Taoism and Hinduism dating back even longer. But I'm critical of everything.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think its also called the "m" theory? it explains about that there is a big bang but a different way than they taught us in school. also expalins that there may be other dimentions very close but that we cant touch and see them sorta like a parrallel world. how many dementions is there suppose to be for this to be true was it 11 or 12 dementions? we live in the 3rd demention, one demention for time, 2nd for movent on a plane( i think) and the 3rd for free to move about(not quite sure but something like that)
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish schools would teach less big bang and more spelling. Unless when you write demention you mean, "The universe in which a person's hallucinations or grossly deluded perceptions can be said to truly be taking place; an alternate reality." (definition quoted from
    http://www.langmaker.com/) That's something very different from dimension. When a physicist refers to lots of dimensions, they aren't an alternate reality. They are reality.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, do you ever see good spelling on the internet [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] (but not that angry. Not enough emoticons [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woops sorry!
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a problem, but all our budding young scientists need to focus more on spelling because accurate spelling is far more important when tossing around more esoteric words and names.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast