What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So I'm just about coming up on my first year with CPs (besides my poor little TC mutant Nep that I've had for three) and was wondering what the routine is for temperate plants. I have a bunch of Sarracenia and VFTs which are badly in need of repotting (pretty much all of them,) and I want to do it now. The Savage Garden seems to say it's too early for that, though.
So when do you guys work with your temperate plants? I've got a bunch of stuff that could do to be separated or otherwise repotted - Darlingtonia seedlings, VFTs, Sarracenia (plants and seedlings,) and temperate Drosera and Pinguicula. Which of these can be transplanted now?
Like I said, my VFTs are hurting; the traps suddenly got very small on them a few weeks ago when the rains came, and the leaves don't look very healthy altogether. Their pots are too shallow and the water level is too close to the crown of the plant - I'm almost positive of it, because the last couple of VFTs I had reacted exactly the same way when I got them and perked right up when I put them in deeper pots. Would it make matters worse to repot my VFTs out of season, in their weakened state? Besides my VFTs, most of my other plants are starting to crowd their pots. I have a bunch of giant (10"+ diameter) pots that I snagged from a landscaping company, and looking at the big stack of pots is making me anxious to do my repotting.
Several of my Sarracenia have three or four growth points apeice so I plan to divide those - how long do I have to wait to do that? I presume they at least need to enter dormancy - what should I watch for? Several of my plants are dropping some leaves, but they all still have healthy, active pitchers on them.
Oh yeah, I live on the Puget Sound in Washington, so I have a zone 8-9 climate even though I'm up north. It's still Autumn here - the leaves haven't quite all started to yellow and most trees are still just beginning to drop them. My plants don't yet seem to be entirely dormant, but my D. filiformis are all dropping their leaves and the Sarracenia are beginning to do the same. Nighttime lows are still only in the 40s.
Thanks,
~Joe

Wait until spring. That's when it is recommended.

Joe, what is your goal? Are you wanting to get them into more spacious pots or get them out of bad soil media?

If it's to get them into larger pots, I would prepare the pots and create a depression in the center. I would then take media and plant, as one unit, out of the smaller pot and place in the depression. The water it from the top to fill in the gaps.

If it's to get them into better media, I would prepare the pot and wash off the old soil. Then put the plant in the new media and have it wet. Cover the plant for a couple days, treating it like a plant just received and in shock.

AS for timing. experienced growers are skillful in transplanting any old time, while less experienced folks are generally instructed to transplant when the plant has died back / formed hibernacula / dormant.

I think the best time to repot or transplant almost any plant is when it has strong root growth. For Sarrs, that's Spring, not Fall.

For the VFTs, it's really just a matter of getting them into a larger pot. They were put in fresh media shortly before I got them, so I'm not concerned about that - they're just really wet. I don't intend to disturb the roots, I just want to get them above the water. I can wait on the others, but I think it would be bad to leave the VFTs in their current state, because it's only going to get wetter here.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Oct. 21 2005,4:53)]
"Darlingtonia seedlings, VFTs, Sarracenia (plants and seedlings,) and temperate Drosera and Pinguicula. Which of these can be transplanted now? "

saracenia in about one month
drosera, they dont care, i prefure to do so during winter but ive done so in all the seasons.
pinguicula NEVER cares ive had cases where i rip off al the roots and it survives although all the other members will probably recomend while there dormant.

"the traps suddenly got very small on them a few weeks ago when the rains came, and the leaves don't look very healthy altogether. Their pots are too shallow and the water level is too close to the crown of the plant - I'm almost positive of it, because the last couple of VFTs I had reacted exactly the same way when I got them and perked right up when I put them in deeper pots. Would it make matters worse to repot my VFTs out of season, in their weakened state? "

i love repoting venus fly traps any time especialy this time beacause you find the baby plant forming on the sides! but it is best during there dormancy but ive broken that rule enough to say its safe now if its an emergancy, also dont vft reduce trap size before dormancy?

"Several of my Sarracenia have three or four growth points apeice so I plan to divide those - how long do I have to wait to do that?"

DORMANCY!!!!!!

"I presume they at least need to enter dormancy - what should I watch for? "

im in zone 7 and my pitcher plants hate to go to dormancy and only do when the first *or twelth
smile_n_32.gif
* frost

"Several of my plants are dropping some leaves"

they do this before dormancy look for a herbiculi on the sundews, they form packs of what i think of as the center of a daisy.

Butterworts: Mexican butterworts don't care, but P. primuiflora, with their more developed root systems, are less forgiving about being uprooted.

Most rosetted sundews don't care, either, but those with longer roots can show their displeasure by going into shock (capensis). Pigmy sundews just plain outright die.

Sarracenia and VFT: Most people divide and repot in Dec/Jan/Feb/March, but repotting can be done at any time of year. The plant might sulk for a couple of weeks, but it will never keel over and die. Since there's not even any more growth at this time of year, go ahead and repot.

Back