What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whoohoo

i'm so excited! i found a pleco that was bigger than average for my 90 gal pond outside and was able to buy him! it took about 2 hours of acclimation before i released him which was about 20min ago. keep your fingers crossed he does ok. i didn't think about taking pics before release so as soon as i see him again i'll get some. he's about a foot in length and 3 to 4 inches wide so he shouldn't be hard to miss. finally some algee relief without chemicals, yeah!!!! sorry just so excited and had to tell someone!
smile.gif

Congratulations! Is it a regular old pleco or a Blue-eyed or something else exotic?

Congratulations from me too! Err....what's a pleco??
confused.gif

I hope he/she does well for you.
smile.gif

PAK it was a typo, he meant to type Gecko.

I hate to break the bad news to him that they don't eat algee only bugs. But I do have some good news I just saved a bunch on my car insurance.

PS, if you want to get rid of your algee without chemicals you should get an algee eater. They are really cool fish.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Oct. 24 2005,12:27)]PAK it was a typo, he meant to type Gecko.

I hate to break the bad news to him that they don't eat algee only bugs. But I do have some good news I just saved a bunch on my car insurance.
LMAO!! 0zzy thats to funny...

Actulay plec's do eat algee but ya have to be careful that they also get other things to eat as well if theres not enough food to keep them ocupied and well fed the due have a tendancy to go after the fish and suck the slime coating of them and even damaging the other fishes scales unless you have fish that wont put up with being touched/harassed by the plec. I lost a few prized expensive fancy goldfish many yrs back due to a plec doing those things and i even caught it doing it even when the fish wernt sleeping at night.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Oct. 24 2005,12:27)]PAK it was a typo, he meant to type Gecko.

PS, if you want to get rid of your algee without chemicals you should get an algee eater. They are really cool fish.
Shouldn't that be Geico?

Ozzy...I think YOU are a typo.
laugh.gif

I may not know what a pleco is but I DO know that Prizmbatch is a "she", not a "he".
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Oct. 24 2005,11:43)]Ozzy...I think YOU are a typo.  
laugh.gif

I may not know what a pleco is but I DO know that Prizmbatch is a "she", not a "he".  
smile_n_32.gif
LOL!

A 'pleco' is the shortened form of the word, "plecostomus". It is a catfish. Here is a picture of a typical young one:

Catfis139.jpg

Oh geez...I know what a catfish is! My father used to catch them all the time. They can get HUUUUUUUUGE. Someone recently just caught some record breaker or something...it was on TV.

They are kinda gross...

Why didn't someone say "catfish"! Hmmmph!

But Ozzy is still a typo. He's a typozzy.
laugh.gif

That one is young.  Isn't so cute.  Mine is big enough to look like the Nautalis.

Thay ain't catfish. They do look something like a cat when young, but the have spiney ridges as they get older.

yeah i am a she not a he (thanks plantakiss), and yeah i have done tons of research so i don't put anything in that he might bother.I'm not to worried about the goldfish right now and if i see problems i can always throw a little seeweed in for him to munch on. also it's in an outdoor pond so theres lots to eat
smile.gif
that baby is really cute i got one that size to like 3 months ago and thought something ate him like 24 hours after putting him in, but in winterizing my pond i found him. so now i have 2. my new one is huge already but will probably double in size maxing out at about 2 1/2 feet. wow!

prizmbatch, what size is your pond?? Just curious we have a pond to but because the winters are so cold and bad here i bring my fish in and winter them in a tank, i was gona use a pond deicer but my fountain and the cascade waterfall would freez solid. Mine aint nothing big and fancy but it serves its purpose not only being beautiful and attracting tons wildlife and butterflie and dragon flies but its very rlelaxing and soothing to lay out by it in a lounge chair durring the summer days reading a book or just listening to the water sounds. We have gold fish, fresh water clams, tadpoles, newts and tons frogs in it durring the summer and a few snails.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I may not know what a pleco is but I DO know that Prizmbatch is a "she", not a "he"

He, She, Whats the difference?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Oct. 26 2005,3:26)]He, She, Whats the difference?
Endocrine sytem and "plumbing".
smile_m_32.gif

my pond isn't that fancy either but it's good for me. it's 90 gal. and is about 3ft. deep in the middle. it has 3 shelfs too. and i live in tx so i doesn't get that cold. the plecos come in for the winter but the goldfish will be ok. they will hibernate. i looked for a heater/ deicer thingy and they don't sell them here i just got laughed at because it doesn't get that cold

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Oct. 24 2005,9:43)]They can get HUUUUUUUUGE.  Someone recently just caught some record breaker or something...it was on TV.

They are kinda gross...

Why didn't someone say "catfish"!  Hmmmph!

But Ozzy is still a typo.   He's a typozzy.  
laugh.gif
too bad u cant eat them! i know personally how big they get. we caught one with a net that was about 15-20" long. i use to have one about 8"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ Oct. 24 2005,9:45)]Thay ain't catfish.  They do look something like a cat when young, but the have spiney ridges as they get older.
they are

You can eat catfish, they are very good. Unlike any other fish.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Oct. 27 2005,10:29)]You can eat catfish, they are very good. Unlike any other fish.
sorry ozzy i forgot to mention i was talking about the pleco. they do have tough "skin"
catfish ARE really tasty. fried, grilled, steamed, in a stew, havent tried raw, and they do have alot of meat. the blue catfish is one of the biggest catfish in the US. the largest in the world is the wels but too bad they are in europe or else i would try to eat one myself but would die of a full stomach. heres a pic to see what im talking about
wels catfish

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Oct. 27 2005,1:29)]You can eat catfish, they are very good. Unlike any other fish.
Love blackened catfish.... anythink Cajun!

Back