What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google

• Thread starter shokuchuu
  • Start date
I wonder what Google meant when you do the "I'm feeling lucky" search on the word "failure"? Try it and see. Now I realise this may have been done by a hacker but...

Cheers

smile_n_32.gif

Could even be the people at Google!

I tried and got this:

President of the United States - George W. BushHome News Issues Photo Essays
En Español
George W. Bush is the 43rd President of the United States. He was sworn into office on January 20, 2001, re-elected on November 2, 2004, and sworn in for a second term on January 20, 2005. Prior to his Presidency, President Bush served for 6 years as the 46th Governor of the State of Texas, where he earned a reputation for bipartisanship and as a compassionate conservative who shaped public policy based on the principles of limited government, personal responsibility, strong families, and local control.

President Bush was born on July 6, 1946, in New Haven, Connecticut, and grew up in Midland and Houston, Texas. He received a bachelor’s degree in history from Yale University in 1968, and then served as an F-102 fighter pilot in the Texas Air National Guard. President Bush received a Master of Business Administration from Harvard Business School in 1975. Following graduation, he moved back to Midland and began a career in the energy business. After working on his father’s successful 1988 Presidential campaign, President Bush assembled the group of partners who purchased the Texas Rangers baseball franchise in 1989. On November 8, 1994, President Bush was elected Governor of Texas. He became the first Governor in Texas history to be elected to consecutive 4-year terms when he was re-elected on November 3, 1998.

Since becoming President of the United States in 2001, President Bush has worked with the Congress to create an ownership society and build a future of security, prosperity, and opportunity for all Americans. He signed into law tax relief that helps workers keep more of their hard-earned money, as well as the most comprehensive education reforms in a generation, the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. This legislation is ushering in a new era of accountability, flexibility, local control, and more choices for parents, affirming our Nation’s fundamental belief in the promise of every child. President Bush has also worked to improve healthcare and modernize Medicare, providing the first-ever prescription drug benefit for seniors; increase homeownership, especially among minorities; conserve our environment; and increase military strength, pay, and benefits. Because President Bush believes the strength of America lies in the hearts and souls of our citizens, he has supported programs that encourage individuals to help their neighbors in need.

On the morning of September 11, 2001, terrorists attacked our Nation. Since then, President Bush has taken unprecedented steps to protect our homeland and create a world free from terror. He is grateful for the service and sacrifice of our brave men and women in uniform and their families. The President is confident that by helping build free and prosperous societies, our Nation and our friends and allies will succeed in making America more secure and the world more peaceful.

President Bush is married to Laura Welch Bush, a former teacher and librarian, and they have twin daughters, Barbara and Jenna. The Bush family also includes two dogs, Barney and Miss Beazley, and a cat, Willie.

En Español

Family
Married to First Lady Laura Bush

Daughters
Twin daughters, Jenna and Barbara.

Born
Born July 6, 1946.

College
Yale University, bachelor's degree, history

Graduate School
Harvard University, Master of Business Administration

Career and Public Service
Owner, oil and gas business
Partner, Texas Rangers Baseball Team
Governor of Texas
President of the United States

Related Links
Vice President Cheney Biography
Laura Bush Biography
Lynne Cheney Biography

It either goes to that page, or a BBC News page about George Bush. The link being Bush and failure.

That's an interesting link, mean, but it's got some humor. I doubt google would have done it. Not that it's against the law but they might lose some traffic dissing people like that.

As far as I know, Google currently assigns its rankings based on how many times a site is linked to from another site (the method is different for each search engine and ever-changing). Blog softwares like Movable Type with their trackback functions are totally screwing up the rankings because they're generating links to each other automatically on a massive scale. It's something Google is just going to have to adapt to. So this could be the result of thousands of bloggers linking to the white house site with the word "failure" in their link, or even people encouraging each other to do this from blog to blog to see if they could make this happen. *shrug* Just thought I'd mention that before people started coming up with conspiracies.

This was done by the people at Google some time ago, not hackers.  There are many others like it.  Try "french military victories" with 'I'm feeling lucky', for example.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nep_grower @ Oct. 24 2005,6:39)]This was done by the people at Google some time ago, not hackers. There are many others like it. Try "french military victories" with 'I'm feeling lucky', for example.
OMG that's HILARIOUS!!!

Various groups have done things like this in order to make a point or get some laughs. The way its done:

Create a web site with some specific key words (such as failure)
Get lots of people to visit it and link to it

Eventually the google search engine will pick it up and as the site becomes more "popular" it will end up at the top of the list of web results. Since "I'm feeling lucky" merely opens the first web result, the created page will come up.

I seriously doubt that Google was at all involved in either of these pages.

-noah

Hmmm.. you're right.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/google.asp

For some reason I always got the impression it was the people at Google trying to make a statement in a humorous manner.  However, I still don't see how this can account for the "French military victories" page.

Oh wait, now I get it. D'oh!

There's actually an entire art to this. It's known as a Google Bomb and it's been around for a longggg time. Always fun.

~ Brett

While we're at it, try "ignorant bigots", "buggy insecure browser" or "unelectable" for just a few more funny ones.

~ Brett

Cool, I was spot on. For the "french military victories" one, check out the URL.

Is it jsut me or does George Bush seem to be making pretty good money for a "failure"
confused.gif

Hey, ya know what's scary? Do a Google on your name - your real name and your forum name. See how many people have access to info you thought was limited to the forum or who else shares your name.

Back