What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So...you think you know everything?

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
You read these and you think one of two things..."Wow...I didn't know that!"...or "Someone had waaaaaay too much time on their hands..."

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge
  A cat has 32 muscles in each ear
  A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue
  A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours
  A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds
  A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second
  A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes
  A snail can sleep for three years
  Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer
  All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill
  Almonds are a member of the peach family
  An ostrich's eye is bigger than its' brain
  Babies are born without kneecaps.  They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.
  Butterflies taste with their feet
  Cats have over 100 vocal sounds.  Dogs only about 10
  "Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".
  February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon
  In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated
  If the population of China walked past you, in single file, the line
  would never end because of the rate of reproduction
  If you are an average American, in your whole life, you will spend an average of 6 months waiting at red lights.
  It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open
  Leonardo Da Vinci invented scissors
  Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable
  No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or purple
  On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag
  Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing [
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Then why don't 80 year olds have giant noses and ears??]
  Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite
  Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated
  "Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand and "lollipop" is the longest only typed with your right
  The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing
  The cruise liner, QE2, moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel that it burns
  The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket
  The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter of the alphabet
  The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid
  The words, "racecar", "kayak" and "level" are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes)
  There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar
  There are more chickens in the world that people
  There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous and hazardous
  There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order:  "abstemious" and "facetious"
  There's no Betty Rubble in the Flintstones Chewable Vitamins
  Tigers have striped skin not just striped fur
  TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard
  Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance
  Women blink nearly twice as much as men
  Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks; otherwise it will digest itself
smile_t_32.gif

I knew of only five of them.
smile_h_32.gif

Here is something along those lines: The letters: 'E', 'A', & 'T', when in different postions, form 3 legitimate words - eat, ate, and tea. Another of similar ilk is that you can put each vowel in between the consonants p & t, to form 5 legitimate words.

There's a real neat one that involves perfect square, cubes, etc... that correlate with simple derivatives and factorials, but I'm guessing maybe 3 people on this forum would find that interesting!
smile_m_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hour

i dont think this one is true. ive kept one that lived longer than this and their nymphs can live for years.

Isn't a shark classified as a mammal? Reminds me of the famous Buffalo Bill's retort for the Miami Dolphins, "Squish the fish!" It reallu oughta be, "Mutilate the mammal". But I digress....

a shark is a fish

Just because the reproductive stage of an insect only lives a brief time doesn't mean that's the insect's life span. Although that logic might mean I'm only 13, since my daughter is 12. I better finish this beer before an adult sees me.

i thought you didnt drink Bruce?

anyways im pretty sure the adult stage of a dragon fly lasts longer than 24 hours

I find it pretty amusing that out of all of those things that most people don't know, our forum members can debate the lifespan of dragon flies! I think I 'knew' about one or two things on that list to be honest, and that fact bothers me--that I knew ANY of them. Jimscott knows five?? That's pretty scary. Who knows more than five? And which ones?
laugh.gif

Wow...I knew 6 of these(and agree with rattler that the dragonfly one is wrong). It could have been mixed with a mayfly which is said to live only a day in its adult stage(but again isn't quite correct if you are technical as some species live longer).

Does this say I have too much time on my hands? Or too good of a memory for useless things?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A dime as 118 ridges around the edge

And here I thought it was 119...
confused.gif

Then I found this webpage.

If you follow the link you will find that dragonflies live up to 7 years. Well, I checked their source and the source says that most of those years are spent as an aquatic nymph; the adult lives for only a few weeks. I don't think I can trust anyone anymore.
smile_n_32.gif

Peter

Neat, but it's a shame the list's credibility is called in to question with the dragonfly thing, and you *can* sneeze with your eyes open. I've done it, just to see. My eyes did not pop out.

lol didn't anyone see the Myth Busters about the "A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds" They proved it wrong by teaching one to swim through a maze.

Here are the ones I knew...
A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds
But is wrong
A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours
Maybe they meet a damselfly and just the lifespan
All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill
I was at the Lincoln Memorial this year and saw that.
Almonds are a member of the peach family
I want to say "Good Eats" says that in one episode
Butterflies taste with their feet
Don't remember where I heard that
It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open
Don't remember where I heard that
The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket
Food TV I think it was "Unwrapped"
There are more chickens in the world that people
I think I saw it on Food TV
Tigers have striped skin not just striped fur
Animal planet and I think they said zebras don't but I will have to check into that one.

One other one I know that was not on the list is the uncopyrightable is the longest excepted word in the Dictionary that does not use the same letter twice.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Whoa Jeremiah! Ten! And you seem so normal--after all, you are a CP lover!
smile_m_32.gif

lol @ Peter.
laugh.gif

I knew about 6 or 7...like the butterfly one, almond/apricot, etc.

Oddly enough, a commercial came on TV last nite and all it was was a box with these words in it: "What do you see if you shave the stripes off a tiger?" I said "STRIPES ON ITS SKIN!!" lol Yup...second half of commercial gave the answer. Now what are the odds of that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 27 2005,5:49)]There's a real neat one that involves perfect square, cubes, etc... that correlate with simple derivatives and factorials, but I'm guessing maybe 3 people on this forum would find that interesting!  
smile_m_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
laugh.gif
I am one of those three, so post the darn thing!

i knew 8 or 9 of them i think. but my wife says i know everything, i keep telling her that my brain is just efficiant at storing and recalling completly useless facts
smile_n_32.gif
i cant seem to put much of any of it to good use. there are a few more on the list that im not sure of being corret bu ti cant prove it at the moment and dont have the time to look them up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Oct. 27 2005,6:48)]a shark is a fish
Sheridan, you are right. I thought maybe they were mammals or maybe a few of them were. Oh well!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Oct. 28 2005,11:28)]I am one of those three, so post the darn thing!
Okay, here goes:

x2: 0, 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36,.... Take the difference between the perfect squares and you get 1,3,5,7,9,11,... Take another difference and you get 2's.

2! = 2x1 = 2

(x2)' = 2x, (2x)' = 2

For cubes:

x3: 0, 1, 8, 64, 125, 216, 343,... Take the differences and go one more step and you end up with 6.

3! = 3x2x1 = 6

(x3)' = 3x2, (3x2)' = 6x, (6x)' = 6.

For 4th power and factorials, it ends up with 24. For 5-> 120, then 720, ad nauseum. I haven't a clue as to its practical use, but it sure was neat doing the self-discovery. And no, I wasn't the first. I wa relating that to my MENSA-level, nerdy, Physics prof friend and he told me that he discovered that on his own in 7th grade. Bummer!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 28 2005,10:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Oct. 27 2005,6:48)]a shark is a fish
Sheridan, you are right. I thought maybe they were mammals or maybe a few of them were. Oh well!
all are fish but research is showing that a couple of species may infact be warm blooded. i think the great white is one and the mako another.

Interesting, but some of these need to be corrected sorry if I repeated you ;) :

A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours- as the others have said, they can for weeks in their dragonfly stage.

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear- I don't think there are any muscles in a cats ear, just around the ear. Do you have any in yours?

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds- from personal experiance and from mythbusters, goldfish can remember way more than 3 seconds. They come to me every time I feed them, and some guy trained theirs to ring a bell for food.

A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes- I had a whiptail catfish before and it blinked. I think most catfishes can 'blink' and i heard somewhere that so do puffer fishes.

Babies are born without kneecaps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.- all babies have kneecaps. I had baby brothers and cousins and I checked. It'll be pretty grusome of they didn't....

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors- I remeber hearing it being invented by like the romans or greeks or something. I don't know, but he could have reinvented it.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or purple- I guess its how far you stretch it; silver-pilfer and, from some cartoon I frogot, orange-doorhinge.

On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag- You wish :p . Its actually the old Canadian flag, but without the color it looks somewhat like the american flag.

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid- It never froze solid. C'mon, common sense makes this one impossible. The niagra falls is huge and constantly in motion.

There are a few others that I think are false, but I'm not too sure, like the vocal cord one, the domestication one and the line of chinese one. Oh, and a discovery channel show said that mantarays are also warm blooded :p .

Okay, I was bored :p . Zongyi

Back