User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane wilma and sunbelle exotics

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Oct. 30 2005,12:25)]dam i swear what is it with all these hurricanes! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]
    global warming=warmer seas=more and stronger hurricanes
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strong hurricane seasons comes in cycles. Global warming only have effect on how strong the storms get, not how many are formed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hamata for the accurate reporting! Yep! we're alive and well, if not a little battered. Still no electricity. We have a generous neighbor with a generator who provides us with power a few hours a day. Can't run anything that eats lots of juice, however-no hot water heaters or stoves. But the computer or TV are okay. Later, Michelle will post pics of the destruction.
    The Sarracenia are fine. Just beat up. All the fine looking leuco traps...well...you'll see in a pic soon.
    The greenhouse is one strong mutha. It was totally stripped of covering and shadecloth. We watched as 120 mph + winds made 12 foot 4x4 s flex like they were rubber. My big fear was the possibility of just one of them snapping, the integrity of the whole structure would be gone and thus the wind would systematically take the rest of it apart.
    Within one day had new layer of plastic over the top and on the west and north sides to cut the cold dry wind from blowing across Neps like ampullarias, bicalcaratas and sumatranas. Overall, things are looking good, if not a bit sunburnt and a little dessicated. The big plants took the most wind damage. Big Mama's main vine is intact, but the upper-most leaves were torn. Interesting to see the effects of such adverse conditions to hit one after the next. All within 48 hours they were subjected to 120+ mph wind, 48 degree F night, 30 percent relative humidity, full blazing sun. Maybe we've stressed them enough to get some flowers!
    Will post pics sometime soon.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm glad to hear from some of our Floridians. I've been thinking about y'all. So much destruction everywhere in the gulf region.

I'm sorry you suffered the damage you did but I guess considering everything, that's not too bad. I hope all power is back on soon. I had to live for 13 days without power after hurricane Isabel...so I know how hard it is. It takes a looong time to fix all the poles, transformers, cables and stuff. There is an awful lot we take for granted, like a cold glass of water, until you don't have it any more.

Good luck to you with your greenhouse and plant recovery. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12