User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here raise ducks or chickens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm becoming more and more interested in raising chickens/ducks. I think I will attempt to do this next spring. Was wondering if any of you here have any experience with raising them and if you have any recommendations on information that would be useful to people who are new to this. I found this site: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com supposively it is pretty popular.

Discuss!
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'd be really smart, especially considering how scared everyone is over bird flu. Don't be surprised if your forced to kill the poor things in the future when or if it does get bad, and s*** hits the fan. Seriously, you might want to think about that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bird flu... common are we still trippin on that media frenzy released a month or 2 ago? Remember when the west nile virus was supposed to kill us all too?

Honestly though I respect your word of caution, but there is enough research that shows that the bird flu is 99.9% not going to affect us. Scientists have even said that even if the bird flu mutates, it does not necessarily mean it will still be lethal. Also I will not be raising these guys as food but as pets.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm talking about the flu popping up in your birds, not so much the humans. If they were to contract the virus, they would come in and kill all the birds that didn't die from the flu in a quarantine effort. That's a very real possibility. For birds, this flu is spreading rapidly. I personaly am not scared of this virus if it were to jump human to human, but others might not be as lax as me. I'd just think twice, that's all I'm saying.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ex used to have a breed of duck called Indian Runners. They're tall and brown and have thin bodies. They stand very straight and look kind of like umbrellas. You should get some of those; the eggs are really good and they're super cute.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (lol @ Nov. 12 2005,12:34)]I'm talking about the flu popping up in your birds, not so much the humans. If they were to contract the virus, they would come in and kill all the birds that didn't die from the flu in a quarantine effort. That's a very real possibility. For birds, this flu is spreading rapidly. I personaly am not scared of this virus if it were to jump human to human, but others might not be as lax as me. I'd just think twice, that's all I'm saying.
    lol:

You got a point there. However I think it would be common practice to axe anything that looks diseased right? Atleast that's what I would do, bird flu or not, if there is something wrong with it it needs put down. Same thing goes with dogs/cats. If they contract rabies or something, you put them down. BTW don't forget that this bird flu is also infecting animals such as domestic cats/dogs. So it's not just limited to bird only species, if the flu gets over here it will infect other pets as well. Which goes back to the axe if sick procedure.

Seedjar:

Thanks for the info. I was wondering how domestic were they? Were they pretty temperate and tolerable or were they mean/independent. I've heard that ducklings can be very good pets if you get them when young or hatch them yourselves (if you give proper daily interaction). Just curious [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These ducks were a little skittish of me, because I wasn't around much, but after just a week or two at my ex's house the ducks were fine with all the members of the family. They would come eat out of my hand and the family could pick them up, although they didn't exactly like to cuddle. They were young when she got them, but not ducklings. They had been handraised by a nearby breeder.
    Ducks can be good pets, but you have to understand that they're like all birds in that they have attitude and they prefer to stick to their flock. If you have just one duck and it bonds just to you, it'll accept you and look to you for stimulation and companionship. But when a bird figures out that you're not a bird, the honeymoon is over; they'll still tolerate you, but they'll never be as interested in you as they are in their kin. As long as you don't expect them to be like a pack of puppies, a flock of ducks should be a lot of fun.
    Ducks do need space; they need a coop to nest, sleep, and lay eggs in, a nice space to run around, and a pool to swim and bathe in. Duck water gets nasty fast - I hope you have a use for fertilizer. Ducks also have attitude, and will attack if threatened. Although they aren't especially dangerous to an adult, their bites are surprisingly painful and they could possibly pose a threat to a child or another pet if left unsupervised. Despite that, they're safer and easier to manage than most livestock. Setting up the coop and run is kind of expensive, but upkeep is relatively cheap, and the right breed of duck will readily produce a steady supply of eggs. They even eat some garden pests (like snails, I think.)
    I really wish I could have ducks, but I live on the third floor of an apartment building. Oh well...
    ~Joe

PS - I understand keeping chickens is roughly the same - my neighbors down the street have a chicken coop in their back yard, in the middle of a dense suburban neighborhood. The only difference is that chicken beaks are sharp.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey dont wanna be mean or anything but has anyone tried duck before, yes as a meal?
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast