What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drying roses

anyone have advise as to how to dry roses to preserve them? i have heard mainly of hanging upside down and letting them dry and putting them in a deep freezer and the freezer (sucks) the moisture out, for a few weeks. which of these works the best? i would prefer a way to save the roses and surrounding flowers and leaves. any other ways? all help is welcomed

thanks

BRad

when my uncle died my mother took some of the roses and hung them upside down in a closet. they still have their color and it's like 2 years later now.

Actually one of the best ways is to use silica gel. You can get that at any hobby store. Its a DRY granular substance that looks kinda like fine salt. Its a dessicant. People use it to dry flowers. You get a container that will fit your flowers; put down a layer of silica gel. Then add your flowers. Pour more gel over the flowers making sure you get them totally covered. You seal the container...leave it for a few days and then you take the flowers out and shake the silica gel off them. This method is supposed to retain the shape and color of the flowers (or ferns, leaves or whatever you want to dry) better than just hanging them to dry.

Hope that helps.

Back