Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washed sand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Well, I washed some play sand like a million times by putting it into a bucket and then filling it with water and quickly washing out the particles before they settle. I have come to a point where, when I add water and quickly turn it off, the sand that has been disturbed by the water very quickly settles, and the water remains crystal clear. I have read everywhere that you need to wash the sand REALLY well, so, have I washed it enough?
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personaly I don't think it needs to be super cleaned. No place sells play sand around here, because everything around here is sand.
    I just go out in my yard dig a hole, until I hit the near white sand, bring it inside cook it in the oven @ 350 until it is all dry or 30 minutes which ever longer, then use once it has cooled.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, when you think about it you wash out nutrients every time you water (granted your water has a lower nutrient concentration.) People say just wash it until it's clear. Bottom line: if you're using sand that is of the quality your plants need, then you should worry too much about it, especially after you rinse it off a few times.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I rince till water is clear. Usually that is 3-6 times. I don't rinse mine everytime i water since i tray water... Like most people. This is why I rince my peat and sand... So it takes longer for the minerals to build up so i have to transplant... I've never cooked my sand though... Yes, i buy it.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 times for good measure, or until sand is clear. Is it just me, or does this sound like cooking instructions?
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would you deal with sand sinking in water and the peat floating on top when you are mixing both together? When repotting, I keep getting pure sand at the bottom and pure peat on the surface!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Now bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees." [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (guqin @ Nov. 14 2005,3:47)]How would you deal with sand sinking in water and the peat floating on top when you are mixing both together? When repotting, I keep getting pure sand at the bottom and pure peat on the surface!
    You wash them seperatly... With sand, you just add water, swoosh around, and drian water. Till water is clear.
    With peat, add water swish around, let sit a while for the peat to soak up the water, then one handfull at a time, squeeze the water onto the ground, and put the squeezed peat into another bucket... 3 or 4 times for each peat and sand is generally pretty good...
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast