What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi there

• Thread starter Dimka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow

Dimka

Sundewist
Hi all.
Came across the forum and it seems nice, so I think I'll introduce myself.
Name's Dimka... for real... well thats what they call me anyway.
I live in NYC on a 4th floor of appt building, meaning no way to grow outside, so I do terrariums. Its not so bad actually because I just put it about 1' above the radiator so its more or less 24-28 degrees in it is not the drying heat of the bulb, but rather a very nice humidifying heat hehe.
hmm what else?
Im a med studend, and just overall a very nice guy  >;-D
Hope you guys accept me.

Welcome! - hope to see you around!
smile.gif

~ Brett

Welcome Dimka. I hope that you enjoy your time with all of us slightly off people.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ Nov. 17 2005,3:50)]Welcome Dimka. I hope that you enjoy your time with all of us slightly off people.
slightly?
confused.gif
you have been away awhile havent you Copper
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

welcome Dimka, lots of growers on here using only lights and no outdoor growing. you will fit right in

smile.gif
Hi Dimka and WELCOME aboard, hope you enjoy it here and make your self right at home. Hope to see some pics of your plants and i grow in terrariums indoors as its like low teens here and lots of snow..
smile_h_32.gif
I think im gona go run off and hibernate now..
smile_n_32.gif

Welcome too.  With the level of enterprise NYC residents have put into community gardens and figs behind buildings and all kinds of other growing, who knows what you might accomplish with carnivorous plants.  Their focus is on other kinds of plants but, if you're interested in outdoor gardening too, you might want to check out the Green Guerillas - http://www.greenguerillas.org/.  The story I heard is they got their start by tossing "bombs" of flower seed & fertilizer over fences into vacant lots to civilize abandoned places.

Well hello Dimka! Welcome to the forums and thanks for the nice introduction. Its always nice to meet new members.
smile.gif

You should have no problems growing plants in an apartment. We have many tank growers and other very creative means to grow indoors.

Do you currently have any CPs?

Dive in and have fun.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hope you guys accept me

Nope, no accepting here. I guess you'll have to go somewhere else.
smile_m_32.gif

J/K
smile_n_32.gif

Welcome to the forums and what will soon become your new addiction
zac

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im a med studend, and just overall a very nice guy >;-D
Hope you guys accept me.

I'm not too sure you'll fit in here, you seem a little too normal. We'll have to keep an eye on you for awhile.

Thanks you all.
Yeah, I currently have D. Adelae, which just sprouted a new plant from the roots, I only found out today while changing a light bulb
smile.gif
) It acts really weird though... the less light it gets the more dew it makes lol
Also have binatas (sewn them few weeks ago, so they are like 3-5 mm)
6 D. Intermedia (one is bigger than all the others together, like 50+ leaves... I think few plants grew together to make that), and a venus flytrap.
Intermedia and trap are currently in the fridge resting, so I got a pretty much empty tank now. Hope to fill it up with some plants... with your help
smile.gif
(im making 2 terrariums, one for all year growers and other for the "sleepers").
Again thanks for the warm welcome
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Nov. 17 2005,7:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im a med studend, and just overall a very nice guy  >;-D
Hope you guys accept me.

I'm not too sure you'll fit in here, you seem a little too normal. We'll have to keep an eye on you for awhile.
Welcome to the forums!

This reminds me of an episode of the Newhart Show, whereby Bob Newhart wanted to join the small town's lodge society thingy and he gave this speech about what his qualifications and his degrees and such - and they turned him down!

oh that makes me feel soooooo much better.

lol Way to go Jim.
biggrin.gif

We have a microbiologist here so why not a doctor? Actually professions vary quite widely. We got weirdos...I mean, CP addicts from all walks of life. hehehe

Hearty welcome from one of the 'weirdos'. Try to guess who the other one is (hint, hint--look above this post).
smile_n_32.gif

Heyyyyyyyy! What are ya tryin' to say Joe??

This is coming from a man with bog chiggers in low places...
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Nov. 18 2005,2:30)]This is coming from a man with bog chiggers in low places...  
smile_l_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile.gif
ROFLMAO!!!!

Yeah, we have a doctor, a meteorologist, Computer geeks galore, jugglers, environmental types, and we even have a clown!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

welcome to your new adiction that will strip you of your money, drive you bankrupt, make you insane, and give you the unbareable joy that you get when your seedlings first flower. I've been a grower since 8 but i have provided my family with many hydroponicly grown bean sprouts and cabbage since i was 6(i didn't start cabbages untill i was 7) and a BEAUTIFULL palm i have grown i NEW YORK zone 7 .... lol we live very close im in nassau the huntington area.

great to see you,
you've come to the right place.

Thanks for the welcome again.
My bro is 6 and is growing beans and pumpkin at the windowsill
smile.gif

Any suggestions on what to fill my 10 gal terrarium with? now that its almost empty.

ten galls are well suited to Utrics and sundews if left uncovered. a covered 10 gal generally doesnt have enough air circulation for anything but Utrics. if you can get some good lights over top i highly recommend any of the South african sundews like capensis, aliciea, madigascarensis(sp?). spatulata is a favorite of mine. you might want to consider some pygmy dews as the gemmea season is about to start and you should be able to get some for the cost of a few stamps.

as far as Utrics, livida and sandersonii are always good and easy to find. the different calycifida cultivars are neat as is longifolia.

Back