What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed collection permits

Hey all. First off, I found some interesting Utricularia down in Mississippi and can't seem to find any matches online, though I haven't tried too hard (I'll see if I can post pics later). I'd like to know when they flower (for seed collecting purposes) and whether or not it is possible to get permits for that. If it is, where?

Thanks,
-D. Lybrand

dont need a permit for seed collection, especially for a utric.

While utrics may be common in some areas, they might not be in others. It would be best to check local authorities (Depart. of Wildlife and Fisheries??) to make sure its ok. And of course there is a difference between legal and moral (meaning it may be legal to collect but if the plant is uncommon in the area, I'd be sparing in any collecting).

Of course if they are located on private property, you could ask the land owner for permission. If the plant species is rare in that location...a sensitive collection would be best and also good if you could propagate and replace them at a later date.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]dont need a permit for seed collection, especially for a utric.

That is WRONG.

You need to be careful. Collecting any part of the plant illegally is considered poaching. I don't know about other states but in NC each seed is considered a separate offense. And each offense can mean $2000 fine and six months in jail.

That means if you collect twenty seeds, you can be put in jail for 10 years and pay a fine of $40,000.00.
You need to check with the local official having jurisdiction.

Thanks. Does anyone know when they produce seed? Cuz it was pretty late fall when I went, with flowers and no seed pods.

-D. Lybrand

the likelyhood of obtaining a permit depends on what the recipients of the pant material in quesion would be doing with it. Usually unless it is considerd threatend, permission of the landowner usually suffices

Back