Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What have you invested in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont invest in stocks, i dont see much point in it. i keep a few rifles around that are worth some $$, the others that i have purchased really wont loose much of their value. personally i like the precious metals but even those can fluctuate qute a bit. personally i would be asking most on this forum for serious investment advise.

my personal view is i prefer to have hard assets to liquid. i like having my guns in the safe, and my few hundred dollars in gemstones. plus a few other odds and ends. i guess i just prefer to see what i have rather than to have to look up stocks to see what i have today, yah know what i mean? but thats just me and as far as making any serious money on it? i probably wont but im happy with my choice cause it suits me. now if i had anextra $30,000 i know a couple of lots up around the local lake i would be purchasing and installing septic systems and running power to. it would be a safe investment that probably would pay off big a few years down the road.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally, people shouldn't invest in individual stocks, as it's just too risky. Stick with a good, reputable mutual fund.

As far as larger investments go, I've always been a fan of real estate. The world isn't getting any larger, and there are more and more of us. It just makes sense that real estate will continue to increase, especially over the long haul.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes..guns are nice too..the problem with me is i would never sell most of the guns i own..

property is also good. ones by water or jsut on the outside of town tend to be the best i believe.

gem stone/presious metals are nice bc..well say gold for example.it has always been valueable and..it will always be valueble.

coins are going up too..

thanks

Brad
    thanks for you imput

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been investing for couple of years. All I can say is do about 2 hours of homework before buying into any company. May say that is a lot of time to study for one company but, if you want to make money that is what it takes. Invest in solid companies with dividends as you get better you can go with smaller companies. You will get burned many times and lose money, but will pay off in the long run with the tools and knowledge that comes from losing. Good Luck!
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well today has not been a good day for the market... Oh well - good thing it's all virtual for me for now. Capslock - If you look back at the quotes in the first post, you'll see that three out of the five are ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) much like Mutual Funds; only two are individual companies. And don't worry rattler, I'm not looking for serious advice - I already have a few ideas and was just throwing this out there to see what people think. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mutual funds are good and can be quickly converted into cash. You'll miss the spectacular increases that are possible with individual stocks or real estate, but you'll also miss the spectacular declines. And, unlike the many months it can take to sell real estate, you can cash in your fund almost instantly. That's important if you might suddenly face medical problems or a family crisis or whatever.

I'm a pretty conservative liberal, so I like value funds. They focus on companies whose stock prices are low relative to the companies' earnings. The more adventuresome like growth funds, which focus on companies expected to earn more and more and more. Then the bubble bursts and they return to earth very hard.

As for investing in guns, the problem is when you need to start selling them to fix the house or put the kid through school. There's a lot less emotional attachment to a mutual fund.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But how about Exchange Traded Funds?

From Wikipedia:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) are open-ended collective investments traded as shares on most global stock exchanges.

The legal structure and makeup varies around the world, however the major common features include:

* An exchange listing and ability to trade continually
    * Typically they are index-linked rather than actively managed
    * The ability to handle contribution and redemptions on an in-kind basis (typically in large blocks of shares only)

These qualities provide ETFs with some significant advantages compared to traditional open-ended collective investments. The ETF’s structure allows for a diversified, low cost, low turnover index investment. This appeals to both institutional and retail investors to use as a long term hold and for selling short and hedging strategies.

Typically, ETFs try to replicate a stock market index such as the S&P 500, NASDAQ-100, MSCI EAFE, and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Today ETFs present a viable alternative investment option to traditional open-ended mutual funds, especially open-ended index funds. There are many available ETFs that attempt to track all kind of indexes (such as large-cap, mid-cap, small-cap, etc), specialties (such as value and growth), industries, countries, and even commodities (while commodity funds like Gold Shares are technically not ETFs, they trade like ETFs).
    Anybody have experience with these? I definitely agree with the mutual fund arguments but the ETFs are just an extension of it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Thanls!

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true Bruce, like i said its something that fits me. and thats one of the main differences between the hard and liquid assets for the most part, how quickly they can be converted to cash.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast