Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Nov. 30 2005,3:09)]...young, dumb, and full of energy.
    hey! this sound familiar! except for the last part, i think i heard it in a rap... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Nov. 29 2005,9:42)]I can't understand anyone enjoying watching two men getting beaten up.
    How about if one of them is Mike Tyson?

Remember this throw them to the lions.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...Mike Tyson should just be in jail. He's nothing but a common thug IMHO.

There is a difference between taking the risk of incidental injury in a competitive sport (football, hockey, even wrestling) and *deliberately* trying to knock a guy out. Sure, people get injured in football but the point of the game is to move the ball and score points, not run over your opponent and give them a concussion.

Of course the boxers know what they are getting into. Just as a thief knows he's taking a chance of getting killed when he breaks into someone's home, so does a boxer know he could get a brain anuerism from a blow to the head buts its okey dokey because of the MONEY.

So the two people in the ring are willing participants. Its still just two guys beating each other up for money and a bunch of people cheering them on ("KILL 'IM! KILL 'IM!!") . Why does watching a public beating appeal to so many people? Why does one enjoy watching a person hit and punch someone? There are many competitive sports that pit players against one another where they can show off strength, speed, strategy, etc. but doesn't involve deliberate injury.

I dont see boxers as "atheletes"...just someone making a buck off public violence.

And, Joe, I've done a little "wrestling" in my time. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] But I've never in my life deliberately struck anyone with the intention of hurting them. I can't imagine doing that.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are times in football when u ttry to hurt someone..i guess u never try to kill or hurt badly. but making the other team have pain is a way to have an edge.

but yes..i can see ur point...but i still like boxing.

thanks

BRad
    thanks for you imput

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are more deaths from things like auto racing and mountain climbing than from boxing.

The thing is that hand-to-hand combat, like it or not, is just part of being an animal on earth. A certain amount of aggression is genetic, and it's been a survival tool for eons. We can't just pretend it's not there. And boxing is a better outlet for that aggression than the alternatives.

And it's absolutely a sport with strategy. Some of the all-time greats have not been knockout artists, but ring generals, using movement, elusiveness, and quick hands to win fights. People like Ali or Sugar Ray Leonard.

It's human nature. And it's an outlet. Plus, I love the tension, the anticipation, and the always-present chance it could end in a flash.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to an article on the most dangerous sports:

Most Dangerous Sports

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey CL,
    what do you have to say about sugar shane and roy jones... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football is no less violent than boxing. But professional football regulates itself much better than professional boxing and former football players suffer from failing hips and knees, not failing brains. This might be the only time you catch me quoting George Will, who said football combines two of the worst things about America - violence and committee meetings.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast