What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

meal worms

i am thinking about feeding my lance leaf sundew and my mexican ping mealworms. but obviously i cant feed them whole worms. soo i was wondering if i could freeze some worms and crush some up into a powder, then sprinkle it on. (ewwwww). would this work, any better suggestions?
help is appericiated.

In the fish department at Walmart or at pet store there is food called bloodworms. They will work much better that mealworms.

oh really? i will have to fly on over ther. but i dont really want to spend more money on this stuff.
are they still whole worms? i need a way of making a powder out of em'
whats wrong with meal worms?

Nothin wrong with mealworms, they are just gooey. The bloodworms they sell are freeze dried. Bloodworms are also much smaller, they are easy to grind up into a powder to spinkle on dews and pings.
-Nick

I wonder why people think CP growers are weird.

True Bruce, but the irony is this.  The guy who paints his face or chest with his favorite football team's colors probably laughs himself silly at us.
biggrin.gif

Well arrogance always tends to laugh at knowledge
smile.gif

I have not tried it yet with mealworms on sundews or pings. I do use them on my neps.
I would not be smashing them up, but feeding them whole. I raise my own mealworms because of the geckos I keep. I will just pick out some tiny mealworms and place them on the dews and ping and see what happens.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i am thinking about feeding my lance leaf sundew and my mexican ping mealworms.

I agree that bloodworms are probably easier to use, but if you want to feed them mealworms you may want to freeze then pulverize them--at least for the pings--for two reasons: 1) unused bits can promote fungal infection and 2) pings (at least mine) can't digest large, bulky pieces of food.  

To this day, my largest-leafed ping hasn't caught anything bigger than a mosquito, and typically feasts on tiny flies and thripes.

FYI, a member of these forums molds bloodworms into shapes when putting them on ping leaves (hearts, crosses, etc).  You should see the nice pics in the ping forum.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nickz123 @ Dec. 01 2005,5:27)]In the fish department at Walmart or at pet store there is food called bloodworms.  They will work much better that mealworms.
get the freeze-dried variety. You can easily pulverise them between thumb and forefinger.

The frozen variety will just make a sticky mess if you try that.

And what I find useful for dews (though it would prolly work great for pings) is Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets, little, tiny, almost sand grain-sized fish food. I just sprinkle a bit on. No crushing needed.
smile.gif

I use Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets.

They make freeze-dried mealworms. They might work. Freeze-dried bloodworms are what I use.

Brian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Dec. 03 2005,9:13)]I use Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets.
soo i can use this on drosera and pings.?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peanuts1gang @ Dec. 03 2005,2:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Dec. 03 2005,9:13)]I use Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets.
soo i can use this on drosera and pings.?
I do on the dews. Never tried it on the Pings yet.
The Betta never misses the few I take from time to time.

Won't putting fish food on a dew cause mould?

i dont see how it could. large peices might get a fungal infection. im not sure

I use bloodworms from a pet store
smile.gif

just grind them up, and serve
smile.gif

Back