What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do leaf cuttings work?

This question has been bugging me for some time, but how do leaf cuttings work? I'm talking about cps, mainly drosera and pings. I can understand for sarrencia and nepenthes, all you are doing is just dividing. But, I never understood how a broken leaf can produce plantlets as opposed to turning brown and eventually decomposed.

On a microscopic level, some cells in the leaf retain their ability to transform to numerous cell types, or in some cases revert to this ability. Given the proper conditions, these cells will differentiate into root and leaf parenchymal, gland, and dermal/epidermal tissue, etc.

On a macroscopic level, differentiation, growth and trophic factors (and extrinsic environmental factors) orchestrate the organization of the cells and, hence, its much of its visible characteristics.

There are many reasons why a cutting will die--most have to do with the fact that they are much more vunerable to unfavorable factors and much less able to adequately respond to them.

Chloroplast,

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!!

When will you people learn that it's MAGIC?!

In other words: very nicely put!
laugh.gif

LMAO est LMAO. Good explanation chloroplast

thanks, guys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When will you people learn that it's MAGIC?!

Funny! It's almost magical to me that the same basic processes orchestrate the development of nearly every multicellular organism--from fungi to humans! It may be a simple consequence of evolution from a common ancestor, but it still amazes me.

Back