Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sphagum Peat Moss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well a trip to the local Lowes had me rushing to grab a few things. In my shopping I grabbed a small purple pitcher plant and a small Sundew. I also grabbed a bag of Sta-Green Sphagnum Peat Mohttp://www.sta-green.com/Product....ss . Here is what I have going.
    I have a very small pitcher plant in a little 3" pot it has lots of very small traps. Seems to be doing pretty well.
    I have 2 medium Nepenthe Miriandas in hanging 8" pots it is on its way to a good recovery.
    I now have a very tiny purple pitcher plant that looks like it will need help. It is currently growing in that little cube that Lowes sold it to me in.
    I now have a very tiny Sundew that is also in the cube. It looks like it will need help.

Since I am dealing with so many plants and I posted this to the general group.
    Here are the questions:
    1. Is the Sta-Green Sphagnun Peat Moss a good product to use with all of my CPs ? Is good for only some of my CPs? Is it a horrible product I should return and get my money back?
    2. What is the best wat to repot my Purple pitcher plant? I have a 5" plastic pot with holes I would like to use.
    3. What is the best way to repot my Sundew? Can I also use the 5" plastic pot for this plant?
    4. Should I repot my Venus Fly Trap? It is in a small pot with a bunch of small traps but it appears to be doing ok.
    5. Can I use the Sphagnun Peat Moss with my Nepenthe?
    Thanks for putting up all my silly questions.

Sincerely,
    Brendhan
    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

Apprently posting fully clothed non sexual photos of myself pisses off the mods. Well I do my part.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. Really not sure, you'll need to wait for someone else to reply, or to do some research yourself to make sure it is in fact sphagnum moss.

Well, if the sphagnum moss is what is says it is:
    2. All my Sarracenia are grown in straight peat (well, the vast majority of 'em!). If you feel that the medium in which it's potted right now is of a good quality, then you should pretty much be able just to plop that in to the bigger pot with more peat.

3. Whatever the dew is, it's probably pretty hardy (something like capensis) so the chances are that you could throw it in to pretty much anything and have it grow. It'd be best to disturb the roots as little as possible. Your sphagnum moss should do just fine, though you could always ad some perlite or something to the mix.

4. What's it potted in now? I mean, do you feel that it is of a good quality? If so, then you'll probably be good leaving it as it is unless the container is too small. Should you choose to continue using the medium in which the plant is in, then you may wish to flush it out with some pure water to wash out whatever nonsense the folks at Lowes may have put in there.

5. Sphagnum moss is excellent for Nepenthes. Some people grow them in straight sphagnum moss, others will add perlit or orchid bark, or any other number of things to the mix. With mirandas, it'd be my guess that you should be fine keeping it simple (all sphagnum, for instance.)

So, thos're my answers. I obviously don't know everything about the situation, nor about the plants, but that's what I'd do if I were in your shoes. The best of luck to you!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay this is where everyones expertise will help me. I thought the bas was a mix of sphagnum moss and peat moss. That the two were completly seperate items. Maybe I am wrong maybe sphagnun is a type of peat moss?
    Really showing my ignorance here.

Sincerely,
    Brendhan
    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

Apprently posting fully clothed non sexual photos of myself pisses off the mods. Well I do my part.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll make it easy, as a lot of time people will say "sphagnum peat" and will be referring either to the moss or peat.

Sphagnum moss- The mossy substance.
    Peat- The dirt-like substance.

The link to the site that you originally provided makes it sounds like it's the actual moss. In general, you can grow pretty much everything in straight sphagnum moss.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Brendhan,

somewhere on the bag, there is probably a small chart listing what is really in the peat moss you bought. if it says "peat moss 100%", then you will be fine. if there are any kind of fertilizersor other types of moss added into it, i would return it, as they might hurt your cp's.
    you would probably be ok just flushing your pots out with pure water, and letting them grow for a few months (and become aclimated to their new homes) before repotting them. use the "search" button at the top of the page to find more info than you ever wanted to know about repotting your carnivorous plants. for potting soil recipies, you can search on here and get plenty of different ideas. a 50/50 mix of spagnum peat and perlite is a very good (although very generic) soil mix for most cp's. a lot of people use this mix with very good results, and it's good for most cp's. peter d'amato's book "the savage garden" also has a lot of good info on cp's in it. put it on your christmas list (you should be able to find it at your local Borders book store.), as most growers will agree that everyone needs a copy of it on their book shelf. pure water is a must with carnivorous plants (distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain water). unless your tap water is very low in total dissolved solids and chemicals, you will be buying water.

peace,
    tech...
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Understudy @ Dec. 04 2005,1:33)]Maybe I am wrong maybe sphagnun is a type of peat moss?
    Really showing my ignorance here.

Sincerely,
    Brendhan
    Basically, I think that the 'dirt' peat moss is the older, decomposing form of the 'moss' peat moss. The 'moss' peat moss grows on top of thousands of layers upon layers of 'dirt' peat moss.
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Dec. 04 2005,8:36)]Basically, I think that the 'dirt' peat moss is the older, decomposing form of the 'moss' peat moss. The 'moss' peat moss grows on top of thousands of layers upon layers of 'dirt' peat moss.
    exactly. "peat moss" is "long fibered sphagnum moss" that has decomposed. i use lfs in all of my potting mixes now, sometimes only putting a small layer of it at the bottom of my pots for keep the dirt from running out the drainage holes.

tech...
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is my general rule with potting nepenthes, up to 4 or 5 inch pot pure LFS is great. when you start hitting the 6 and above inch pot, especially 8 inches and up, you have a hard time keeping LFS fluffy and it compacts which is bad for nepenthes roots. so i start adding between 30 and 50% orchid bark or coconut husks to keep the mix airy, down side is i have to water them more often than pure LFS pots in my setup but i really dont have much choice cause compacted LFS is very bad.

good luck with your plants
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast