What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rassinfrassin rodents

So I take a little trip to my garage to check on my CPs catching some shut eye for the winter and noticed the water a bit muddy and foul. Seems each tray was visited by mice and they (or maybe just one) took an "post Thanksgiving" dump in each tray. I mean loads of it! I'm not sure how long each plant was sitting in Mickey's doo-doo but I thoroughly scrubbed out each tray and filled them back up with distilled water. Would mouse poop hurt the plants at all even if it was sitting in crapola for a day or so? I'm not letting these little furry freaks get away with using my plants as a toilet.
mad.gif

Get a N. lowii x truncata, and I'm sure they'll use that for a toilet instead
biggrin.gif
! Might even make good Nepenthes food if you have a large enough N. truncata or N. lowii x truncata.

It shouldn't do any harm at all.

Maybe you should just quietly slip a mouse trap into one of your plants trays....the mice will never know.
smile_n_32.gif

Dude, once I found a dead bat in one of my deeper water trays outdoors. You got off easy. ;)
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Dec. 04 2005,7:07)]Maybe you should just quietly slip a mouse trap into one of your plants trays....the mice will never know.  
smile_n_32.gif
Just placed some this AM. >;-D >;-D >;-D Come and get it ya little b*stards!

Wow... a bat? Cool...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dude, once I found a dead bat in one of my deeper water trays outdoors. You got off easy. ;)

HAHAHAHA! What the heck?! That must have been a surprise!

Got him... and yet, I can't help but feel bad.

-guilt-

I dont think it'll hurt the plants, but I'd remove the feces as soon as possible... for my own sake
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I dont think it'll hurt the plants, but I'd remove the feces as soon as possible... for my own sake

lol Yup! I mean, the plants get pooped on in nature, and chances are it'll get washed away at some point so the plants shouldn't really be in any danger unless you intend on leaving the feces there as a monument to the event.
laugh.gif

Don't feel bad, scupbucket. Can't have mice running around indoors!

Capslock

Hi, scupbucket.  
I can really appreciate your feelings.  I had a problem with rats a couple months ago.  They found their way into my greenhouse and the nectar on Nepenthes was especially to their liking.  Chewed up many pitchers and the new growth on N. macrophylla! (It survived)  They also left droppings everywhere.  I was amazed how they jumped from one hanging basket to another.

Anyway I killed them with traps and haven't seen any more signs for a couple months.  (There was construction nearby and pretty sure they originated there.  Thankfully, none entered the house.  My wife said "I see a rat - we're moving!"
KPG

geez you guys got off easy, well except for maybe the rats KPG had. did yah know mice like Epiphytic Utric tubers? and are quite enthusiastic about digging to get them? f#$%ing mice..............

i dont know if the poop will act like a fertilizer

All I know is that living critters are usually more a problem than dead ones! It took me two years to get the starlings that nested under my balcony evicted. Yuck! The mess they made of the patio was disgusting!

Over the years I've had many things crawl up or crash into/onto my patio to die. Songbirds, mice, a duck, a neighborhood cat... I feel like I'm working my way up the food chain here. But in the long run the dead ones did far less damage than the living ones!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Dec. 06 2005,1:43)]Don't feel bad, scupbucket. Can't have mice running around indoors!

Capslock
I know but I personify things too much. Maybe I've seen too many cute holiday cartoons. Something like a mice family or something that teaches us the meaning of togetherness for the holidays... then WHAM! Broken neck and eyes bulging out of the skull. Heh... heheh. Actually it would be twisted funny.

Welp.. I don't feel bad anymore. One of his buddies stopped by and ate 3 of my typicals. I'm going medieval on these suckers. WAR!

Back