Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Finals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in my fifth semester at my local community college and I'm transferring to a Cal State in January. My tentative major is Music Education but that will more than likely change within the next year. I would love to work in the video game industry but I don't know what major would be best to have to break into that field...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several colleges like Full Sail that have something to do with video games and some colleges even have something to do with the video game industry. I'm taking computer science, because I want to program video games [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, that's very cool Omar! I think I've heard of Full Sail...

...I also have thought about majoring in Computer Science in order to get a job in the video game industry. The thing that's scaring me away from that major is all the math you have to take. I SUCK at math!

How about I major in Computer Science and I'll send you all my math homework to do?! I have plenty of CPs to trade for your efforts! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh, I need time to spend with my friends :P and I can't wait until I get physics, so I can use my pick-up line. :P Besides, I'm not good at math either, I'm average with science and english is too easy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Boo ya, Saturday done and one final botched. Bring it on. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwwww, I'm sure you didn't botch your final Est.

I've still got all my finals coming up. Monday begins the madness!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My school doesn't have majors - there's no required curriculum so instead you sort of pick-and-choose your credits and if they add up to more than a certain amount in one subject, you're considered to have a focus in that area. So I'm working on a BS in computer science and biology/ecology (depending on how I pick up my remaining life science credits.) This is my third year - I've got at least one more, but if I do two and have a year each of comp. sci. and bio. stuff, then I get Bachelor's of Arts and Sciences, kind of like a two-for-one type of degree.
    I've found the math of computer science to be a joy. It's much more fun than calculus or trigonometry or the other grade-school calculational maths. If you're interested in programming and not sure about the math, you should take a look at a book on finite state machines and automata theory. I love that stuff, but I'm also a huge dork. Last year, I did a full year of formal logic and automata theory, and I found it way, way easier than what I'm doing this year. This year I'm taking real, math-for-math's-sake math; abstract algebra, real analysis and set theory. Computer science is much more comforting than all the other math I've done, because I have concrete things like programs and printouts to work with... it's nowhere near as stressful as pen-and-paper mathematics.
    But anyways, you really don't need programming skills to get a job developing video games... nowadays there are more than just software developers working on games. Designers, artists, writers, management types - even voice actors are all integral to the business now, and none of them have to touch a lick of code.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a good point about the gaming industry Seedjar. That's why I'm thinking about maybe getting a degree in something like English so I could possibly be a story writer on a game team.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast