What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.rafflesiana

Hi everyone.Today i has collected seeds from 2 rafflesiana plant-an elongated green form and the normal form. The purpose is to compare their seeds count in relation to the  their population in the wild. My observation was confined to an area,no exact count on the exact no.of rafflesiana plants though.Well you may say a general observation ie there are more ordinary forms than the elongated type.

elongated form
raff17.jpg

ordinary form
raff18a.jpg

An inflorescence of the elongated form capsule counted were 38 capsules. The no.of seeds in each capsule numbering 523 more or less, while the ordinary form capsules numbering 53 with seeds count only 67.so:

Elongated form total 19,874.00 seeds
smile_k_ani_32.gif

ordinary form has  total 3,551.00 seeds
smile_h_32.gif

Elongated inflorescence capsules are bigger
raff17alt.jpg

ordinary form has smaller capsules
raff18alt.jpg

Base on the calculation there should be more elongated raff plant while the ordinary form should be less.But that was not the case.It was the opposite.I searched the area and managed to count only 20 elongated plants,while the ordinary form were everywhere.young plants without pitchers are not included. What exactly are the reasons?any comment.

Any experienced greenhouse growers out there who had conducted and observed the counting? Your methods and Conclusion. cheers
smile.gif

Robert

I don't know much about seed counting, but do try to sow the seeds and raise them to seedlings. I'd like to see the variation in the offspring
smile.gif

Back