What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some chickadee pics

• Thread starter Drosera36
  • Start date
darn!
Thats so nice! I've always wanted to do it...

Nice pics, but something's wrong with your camera: what's with all that white stuff all over the place?!

It's called......SNOW!
smile_n_32.gif

Actually I met a guy who has never seen snow... It was a while back though
smile.gif
:O

That's kinda funny.
smile_n_32.gif
Though, I suppose if you live in like the rainforest or somethin, you would never experience snow, let alone cold temperatures.

A lot of people in my area are from Puerto Rico or other places in the Caribbean and Latin America and many haven't seen snow before their first winter here.  You know they're in trouble when they're already wearing a parka in October.

As for chickadees, they were constant companions when I did soils work in Maine during the winter.  Just about any time I'd be digging test pits in the woods after cold weather set in, there would be at least one chickadee flitting about watching me work.  They'd stay within a few feet as I did everything and, as soon as I filled the hole and turned to leave, they'd fly down and check out the disturbed ground.  I guess they find seeds and maybe overwintering insects.  But they were good company and I was glad to help.

Yeah, I know what you mean. They're cute little guys.

-Ben

I fill bird feeders for the county conservation comission and have to walk a trail about 150 yards into a refuge area. There is a bird blind where the feeders are so people can observe wild birds in their natural setting.What I do this time of the year when birds are really hitting the feeders hard is I walk thur the woods doing a certain kind of whistle and the chickadees have come to know it and follow me thru the woods. Kind of makes me feel like Dr. Dolittle,LOL.
Mark W.

Lol.
smile_n_32.gif
That's pretty cool. Here's a short video of a chickadee on my hand and grabbing a seed: (i know, the quality sucks, but live with it)

Chickadee Movie

-Ben

I love chickadees. They're certainly the bravest of the feeder birds - always the first to accept hand feeding.

I ALMOST had a red-bellied woodpecker eat out of my hand (came within about a foot of my hand, and was looking longingly at the seeds), which made me kinda nervous....those guys are big.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back