What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

College Admission Letters

• Thread starter nrbelex
  • Start date
Well the early decision letters have begun to come in at my High School and there's an aura of extreme anger and happiness at any given moment of the day. Eight people got into Columbia over the weekend and the rest of the 60% of the grade who applied early find out the 15th. Fun times at High School! When will this end!?
confused.gif

~ Brett

That's one thing I definitely don't miss about high school. The constant college talk made me want to put my head through a wall.

Ah! so true!
And the big thing is... its all just idle talk. I dont know anyone who ended up sticking with the college they wanted to go to when they were in school
smile.gif

Exactly Dimka. It was all just this big competition to see who could out-do the other person, which I'm never very fond of.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That's one thing I definitely don't miss about high school. The constant college talk made me want to put my head through a wall.

It's an interesting experience for me because I'm utterly disassociated with it. I hear people talking about it, people complaining about it, but all I do is shrug. I'm going to community college for 2 years (hey, we can afford it, and there's no good reason not to!) And then tranferring to a UC (Santa Cruz or Davis or something..) A lot of people ask my why I work so hard if I'm gonna transfer; well, I'm HERE aint I? May as well do my best.

I must say that the topic has become a bit drab though: I'm tired of hearing people complain. Oh well, good luck to all of you folks who await a response!

Well early decision is binding for most of the schools so you're left with little choice as to where you wind up if you get in and the transfer rates for most of these schools is in the single digits. I guess it is just a way to one-up each other but it's also the culmination of four years of work and can't be so quickly dismissed. Anyway... I try not to get sucked into the talk and the rumors but the anxiety seems to be contagious and I'm finding myself at places like College Confidential to see if other people have gotten their letters and I'm checking my E-mail and school websites at a rate that seems to be upsetting my router - it's beginning to spontaneously disconnect. I can only find solace in knowing that... well... oh boy, can't think of anything. This is gonna be a looooong week.

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm going to community college for 2 years (hey, we can afford it, and there's no good reason not to!) And then tranferring to a UC

That's exactly what I did. I'm at the end of my two years and I'll be transferring to a Cal State in January. Going to community college was one of the best decisions I ever made. I got all my GE out of the way, spending a fourth of what I would have for the same classes at a UC or a Cal State. I'm not trying to be down on those of you who are going to/took the straight to a UC or state school route, just saying what I did worked best for me. Good luck to any of you waiting for acceptance to a certain school!

By the way Est, you make an excellent point about doing your best now. That's such a great attitude to have. You'll definitely go far in life
smile.gif

it's really hard not to get caught up in the whole mess of competing to get into the best school.  my younger sister and I both are going to the University of Rhode Island, and in our respective senior years of high school, seemed like everyone was going to an Ivy League or some expensive private school.  but we're both extremely happy at URI, and making the most of our educations.  instead of the ultra-competitive atmosphere at an ivy league, we can relax a little and really pursue our interests.  plus we'll be graduating with only a few thousand dollars of debt...don't even want to IMAGINE what kind of loans I'd have to take out at a private school!

I know you're stressing out like mad right now, Brett, but try to believe us when we say this is FAR from the defining moment of your life.  If you get into your first choice college, awesome!  if you don't, that's fine!  you may find you're absolutely happy at another school, and if you're not, kick butt freshman year and transfer.

good luck!!!

- Emily

Im trying to decide wheather I should finish community college and get AAS in nursing, then work, and then get my BA, or should I xfer to a university for next year (main thing is I cant afford it - not aplicable for loans/financial aid/ and so forth - long story) and get my BA in about 4 years...
By the way, can you really get a degree in just 2 years? I know with nursing you'll be lucky to complete just the prerequisites to admission in two years...

You can get an AA in roughly two years, but I don't know if you can get anything past that in such a short amount of time.

Thanks guys - always helpful
smile.gif

~ Brett

Back