Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just moved to East Aurora, NY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to hear that you, your family and plants are doing well Jim. I hope everything continues to go smoothly for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    say hi to Elbert for me!

scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I glad you made it ok Jim.I hope you and your family have a wonderful christmas!

Jerry

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your support! Here's an update: The pipette containers I use are a little wide for the window sills. Consequesntly, one of my kids accidently knocked two of them to the floor. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] While putting them back on the sill, I knocked 4 more to the floor. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] Some of them were pigmy sundews, so I may have done them in. Others were Mexican butterworts and I now have a lot of separated leaves.

I decided it that it would be prudent to do some quick repotting. So I ate and then emptied into Tupperware, the contents of several yogurt containers, and repotted. At my wife's suggestion, I bought a bunch of drawer organizers, that are basically narrow, plastic troughs, that fully fit the window sills.

The bathroom window has a very wide sill and I put as many as could there. But I still didn't have a good home for the hanging basket of Neps. So I thought I would try the bathroom window sill. The curtain rod is wooden and that was a no-brainer set up for disaster. So I bought a steel rod and emplaced it. That did the trick.

It isn't pretty, and some are still doubled up, but they are all at some semblence of a home.

When we were moving, we had several volunteers from the church come down to help us load a Uhaul truck. One of them, the church secretary, I wa told, was fascinated by the collection. I promised to get her a CP (D. capensis) Today, I received some packets of pigmy sundew gemmae and I put together a "gemmae kit" for her office. I then showed her the Photobucket pics of the finished product, as an appetizer.

Scot - Who is Ebert? Is that the film critic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 15 2005,12:45)]Scot - Who is Ebert? Is that the film critic?
    Jim,
    you live in East Aurora and you dont know who Elbert is yet??
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

check out the museum at 363 Oakwood Ave.
    or ask at the Roycroft Inn.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

I have visited East Aurora several times because of Elbert alone. If it werent for him, I would have never even been to East Aurora.

you can also find him in front of the school on Main street.

Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possibly Elbert Hubbard, who started a magazine called the Roycrofters, or something to that effect? I'm at the library, asking a bunch of people. We almost has our wedding reception at the Roycroft Inn, but wouldn't ya know it, it was closed to repairs.

Hey, if you ever come to East Aurora again - let's do lunch!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep!
    Elbert Hubbard is the guy..
    he founded the Roycrofters, a large community of artists, who lived and worked in East Aurora, and made craftsman style furniture, lamps, metalwork, pottery, and printed all kinds of books and publications.
    He and his wife went down with the Lusitania in 1915.

Im a huge fan of mission/craftsman/"arts and crafts" style furniture..the Roycroft stuff is gorgeous, rare and very expensive...the only real roycroft items I own are a few of the small pottery jars.
    Stickly makes a few reproductions of Roycroft furniture:

Roycroft reproductions

http://www.roycrofter.com/

Roycroft campus, East Aurora

Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when are ya swinging by again? Gotta do some Chicken Wings and Beef on Weck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123