What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just moved to East Aurora, NY

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 15 2005,12:45)]Scot - Who is Ebert? Is that the film critic?
Jim,
you live in East Aurora and you dont know who Elbert is yet??
smile_k_ani_32.gif

check out the museum at 363 Oakwood Ave.
or ask at the Roycroft Inn.

smile_m_32.gif

I have visited East Aurora several times because of Elbert alone. If it werent for him, I would have never even been to East Aurora.

you can also find him in front of the school on Main street.

Scot
roycroft.gif

Is it possibly Elbert Hubbard, who started a magazine called the Roycrofters, or something to that effect? I'm at the library, asking a bunch of people. We almost has our wedding reception at the Roycroft Inn, but wouldn't ya know it, it was closed to repairs.

Hey, if you ever come to East Aurora again - let's do lunch!!!!

yep!
Elbert Hubbard is the guy..
he founded the Roycrofters, a large community of artists, who lived and worked in East Aurora, and made craftsman style furniture, lamps, metalwork, pottery, and printed all kinds of books and publications.
He and his wife went down with the Lusitania in 1915.

Im a huge fan of mission/craftsman/"arts and crafts" style furniture..the Roycroft stuff is gorgeous, rare and very expensive...the only real roycroft items I own are a few of the small pottery jars.
Stickly makes a few reproductions of Roycroft furniture:

Roycroft reproductions

http://www.roycrofter.com/

Roycroft campus, East Aurora

Scot

So when are ya swinging by again? Gotta do some Chicken Wings and Beef on Weck!

Back