What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just moved to East Aurora, NY

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Yesterday afternoon, following my son's last class at the community college, and a lunch at Red Lobster, we drove up to East Aurora, NY. The day before I spent a few hours cleaning up my various window sills and counters and finished consolidation / combining the CP collection into a whole mess of plastic pipette containers (sundew & butterwort). I bought the largest cooler that Kmart had and filled it to capacity, including the hanging baskets of Neps. That just left the tow buckets of mini-bogs and two trays of live LFS / aquatic Utrics to pack separately.

This morning I unpacked and spread out the containers to 6 window sills, all south facing. Aside from that which as dormant / kept in the fridge, and may or may not be alive anyways, the tropical sundews and butterworts still all had their "dew" & "grease", including what is probably the most important plant in the collection - the "immaculate germination" Drosophyllum seedling.

Sounds like a pain. Hate moving.

Where is East Aurora, anyway? Sounds like it should be up rather far north to be named after the Northern Lights...

Hey David (in Brooklyn) - It's a town near Buffalo. Now I know you know of Buffalo. We're the football city that lost 4 consecutive Super Bowls and a reputation for chicken wings & blizzards!

Heh, I hate moving... we moved 4 times in 2 years
smile_k_ani_32.gif
hehehe.
So know this - there is always someone who has it tougher
smile.gif

Hope the move works for you
smile.gif

All good to hear your plants have done well. I for one have had enough of moving overseas 7 times, which meant I had to say "bye bye" to my plants the last 2 times.
Those in the US should organise to send house-warming gifts
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers

Hey I like the house warming gift idea. Jim, PM me your address I will send you a christmas present/house warming present.
smile.gif

Is your grow list on line? If so I will check for something your not growing.

I grew up in Cleveland, you are going to love the lake effect snow!
smile_n_32.gif

Glenn

Jim, that's awesome! Now we're practically neighbors, seperated by about 100 miles!

OOOOOO, i know your probably too busy but id love a pic of the seedling.

Here's a pic, taken a few weeks ago:

th_AF002601.jpg

Ben, I think we are about an hour drive away.

Glenn, like wow, thank you for your generosity! I've lived in Buffalo for about 20 years, but had to move away for the past 5. I missed the one in 1977, but felt the ones in 1982, 1985, and shoveled everyday for 16 out of 17 days in January of 1999. Yup, the growlist is online and in the signature.
smile.gif

Glad to hear you and your plants made it up there ok.

smile.gif
Jim its great to here your plants all traveled well and that there doing good. I hope all goes well for you now that you have moved.. I hope you have a super splendid x-mass bud!!!
smile_m_32.gif

smilie4.gif

Awwww looky the cute Drosophyllum seedling.. Nice pic Jim..
smile.gif

Glad to hear you, your family and plants are ok.

Too bad your Bills didn't fare as well!!
smile_m_32.gif

Hey I've heard of a delicacy served in your neck of the woods.
It's called a "garbage plate"
Basically hash browns covered with baked beans "white hots" a.k.a. albino hot dogs and mustard.
My brother who lives in Rochester NY area introduced me to them and enjoyed them along with the heartburn it induced.
Welcome to NY. I'm in Fitchburg Mass (Massatwopoops-"pronounced that way in Oregon).

Kirk

Yup, the garbage plate is famous here. Most people like the 2 cheese burger patties, with mac & cheese, home fries, meat sauce, onions, and mustard. Though, I never had one. I'm too squeamish.
smile_n_32.gif

smile_t_32.gif
Ummm...those are some interesting dishes.

Well congrats on the move Jim. Yep, moving sucks. But now you get to settle into your new home. I'm glad the plants are doing well. Now you can do more experiments in your new environment.
biggrin.gif

Watchout Jimscott! Those utrics are gonna explode in blooms in those nice, clean Southern exposure window sills! I'm glad you're getting settled in.
smile.gif

Nice to hear that you, your family and plants are doing well Jim. I hope everything continues to go smoothly for you.

Jim,
say hi to Elbert for me!

scot

I glad you made it ok Jim.I hope you and your family have a wonderful christmas!

Jerry

Thank you all for your support! Here's an update: The pipette containers I use are a little wide for the window sills. Consequesntly, one of my kids accidently knocked two of them to the floor.
mad.gif
While putting them back on the sill, I knocked 4 more to the floor.
mad.gif
Some of them were pigmy sundews, so I may have done them in. Others were Mexican butterworts and I now have a lot of separated leaves.

I decided it that it would be prudent to do some quick repotting. So I ate and then emptied into Tupperware, the contents of several yogurt containers, and repotted. At my wife's suggestion, I bought a bunch of drawer organizers, that are basically narrow, plastic troughs, that fully fit the window sills.

The bathroom window has a very wide sill and I put as many as could there. But I still didn't have a good home for the hanging basket of Neps. So I thought I would try the bathroom window sill. The curtain rod is wooden and that was a no-brainer set up for disaster. So I bought a steel rod and emplaced it. That did the trick.

It isn't pretty, and some are still doubled up, but they are all at some semblence of a home.

When we were moving, we had several volunteers from the church come down to help us load a Uhaul truck. One of them, the church secretary, I wa told, was fascinated by the collection. I promised to get her a CP (D. capensis) Today, I received some packets of pigmy sundew gemmae and I put together a "gemmae kit" for her office. I then showed her the Photobucket pics of the finished product, as an appetizer.

Scot - Who is Ebert? Is that the film critic?

Back