What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

optical dillusion

• Thread starter Gawd_oOo
  • Start date
If your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot, you will only see one color, pink. If you stare at the black + in the center, the moving dot turns to green. Now, concentrate on the black + in the center of the picture. After a short period of time, all the pink dots will slowly disappear, and you will only see a green dot rotating if you're lucky! It's amazing how our brain works. There really is no green dot, and the pink ones really don't disappear. This should be proof enough, we don't always see what we think we see.
27613283710.gif

Whoa, that is pretty incredible! Yeah, you're right. It is rather amazing how our brains interpret things.

-Ben

WOW DUDE!
LOL This is way cool!!!

A very compelling illusion!  Where did you find it?  

A perfect example of how the brain misjudges brightness or color.  The brain loves to simplify incoming sensory information and will go so far as to "fill in the blanks" or selectively ignore information in order to accomplish this goal.

Wow, this is a great illusion!

I can't really say where I found it.. There is some content not appropriate for younger members of this forum.

I like how atleast for me, some of the dots disappear before the others, and that they don't all go in a row.

1 disappears then the next 2 stay then the one after that goes...

...whoa...cooOOOOoooL...Robert

Well...I don't think its really working that way.  If you cover up ALL the dots but one, you will still see it alternate between pink and green.  That's no optical illusion...that's actually changing colors. There IS a real green dot.

However, its true that if you stare at it the pink ones disappear. That part IS an optical illusion.

Actually, the dots never turn green. They simply flicker on and off. What you perceive as green is an after image of the magenta (like a negative of it). Just another part of the illusion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nep_grower @ Dec. 14 2005,1:43)]Actually, the dots never turn green.  They simply flicker on and off.  What you perceive as green is an after image of the magenta (like a negative of it).  Just another part of the illusion.
Wow... you're right!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hmmm. I'm mixed on this. It does appear to turn green for a fraction of a second after the pink turns off. Cover up all but one to see. Hmmm.

In any case, the pink disappearing after staring for a while is a very good illusion. (Didn't I post this here a month or two ago?)

Capslock

Take the gif apart in a photo editor, in no frame is there any green.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Dec. 14 2005,4:34)](Didn't I post this here a month or two ago?)

Capslock
Yes you did...but I...can never...get enough...green dots. Must have more...must give all plants now to GAWD_oOo and not Capslock!

smile_n_32.gif

Sweet, if thats what it does I'm making it my avatar.

N9112 Otter Lane
Neshkoro, WI 54960
smile_m_32.gif

Back