Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to import?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a plant I've wanted for a long time that is very hard to find in the US. It is Drosera erythrorhiza ssp. squamosa.
    I have located some tubulars of this plant, but it would be coming from Australia.
    I looked around on the U.S. Customs & Border Protection site and it looks like I have to go through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. I have emailed them a question about what I would have to do to get this plant into the US.
    Has anyone imported any plants and what did you have to do?

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did put the shipper took care of it. And that was only coming from Canada.
    I would try contacting some of the EU dealers that ship to the US, or even ask phil from here, he may have some input.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is an issue in which you don't want to be mistaken, so this post is to bump this up to make sure everyone with some valuable input will see it. The suggestions above sound like good ones, though. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seandew & Tony Paroubek seem to be well-versed in these matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 16 2005,2:24)]Seandew & Tony Paroubek seem to be well-versed in these matters.
    I can provide all the information you'd ever need to know if you were seeking information on importing live plant material into Australia. Unfortunately I am not well versed with the intricacies regarding the import regulations of the USA. From what I have heard, at the very least you will require a phyto-sanitary certificate, and probably also an import permit from the USDA- only a guess though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info.
    I gave up on this. I do not want to get the wrong papers and who knows if this is going to cost money just for the papers.

If anyone knows where I can get a Drosera erythrorhiza ssp. squamosa in the USA I would like to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For interests sake I had a bit of a look on the USDA website and found that all the information you need can be located in the APHIS section. You can find information both on phyto-sanitary certificates and whether or not import permits are required on specific plant types.

You would have been wasting your time trying to get relevant information from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as the importation of plants is not a concern of their department.

In regards to costs, it would have cost you money to obtain a phyto-sanitary certificate from Australia- I'm one of the guys who is authorized to issue them.

Good luck tracking down your tubers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to a few PM's that I was sent I went ahead and tried winning the plant on ebay.
    There was 3 forms of the plant listed. I got a little jumpy on the D. erythrorhiza ssp. squamosa (typical) and bid with about 2 minutes left.
    I set up the other 2 D. erythrorhiza ssp. squamosa - "Sand Form" and "Laterite Form" while watching the typical I bid on.
    With about 15 seconds left someone outbid me on the typical. I went ahead and placed a bid on the "Laterite From", which I won. Tried placing a bid on the "Sand Form" but someone ran it up higher then the amount I placed for the bid while not looking, went back to rebid on the typical, but by then the auction was over.
    At least I got 1 of them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast