What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there some sorta nothern NY cp club?

I have wanting to go to a cp 'meeting' or 'club' where people trade and sell plants. Does anyone know of one in northern NY state, or somewhere in that area?

-Ben

Ben,
no, there are no CP clubs around here..
there has been talk of forming one over the years, but nothing has developed..
the problem is that there are too few of us, and we are scattered too far apart.
some of the people here on PFT considered forming a "great lakes" region type club, similar to the actual CP club that exists for New England..
a club like that could include Western NY, Ohio, maybe into Indiana and Michigan..that kind of thing.
the problem with that is that maybe everyone could get together once a year or so..it certainly cant happen once a month! I cant drive 10 hours to Ohio once a month for a club meeting...
so I dont think its likely a local club would fly..although who knows! maybe there are more of us around than we think...

im in Rochester, but my CP collection is going to be in a holding pattern for the next year or so..
I just got married, and we got an apartment in the city, but I have no good outdoor space there for my collection next summer..so for the 2006 growing season, all my CPs are going to grow indoors at work...its not ideal, but its the best I can do right now.. (I can put them on the roof in the fall to prepare for dormancy! ;)
then, once we buy a house, the collection can thrive outdoors again!
so look me up in 2007, and I can show you the collection then! ;)
I wont be able to show anyone my CPs in 2006, because they will be indoors at a secure building at Kodak..I cant let anyone in...

Scot

Bummer.... I was hoping to attend a WNY club.
smile_h_32.gif

an NYC club would be cool. though i think i'm the only person on the island who knows what a CP is...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Dec. 16 2005,7:27)]an NYC club would be cool. though i think i'm the only person on the island who knows what a CP is...
"The Island"? To me that's Long Island! On LI, there's also LeslieBrie...., Vertigo, Moonflower and at least one other. Whatever happened to Alltrade? Santiago is from NYC I think.

YO!
Im in NYC too
smile.gif

Brooklyn baby!!!

You guys should form the NYCPS...

On another note, absolutely think seriously about going to the 2006 ICPS meeting which will be held in Maryland. It's practically in your backyard. The ICPS meetings are every two years and skips between the US and other countries. In the US, it generally skips from the East Coast to the West Coast, So, that means it will be like 8 years before it's this close again. Maybe you NYCPSers could carpool. Many of the NECPS members are planning to go - it's gonna be great!!

If you include SE PA, NJ, NYC (& nearby), as well as southern NY state and anybody willing to drive from MD area - you'd probably get quite a few people.

We had discussions for a few months during the summer, back & forth, and Dave Evans* volunteered his place for a barbecue in Oct (?). The only problem was that he only gave 1 week's notice and most of the people who were originally interested had other plans (by coincidence, this was w/e of the pine barrens excursion - or just after). Even though we only had a handful of people show up, it was great to talk CPs with others...

Bottom line - I suspect that if someone (or some group of people) in the greater NYC region would start to organize some gatherings, we could get at least 10 people together and possibly more than 30...

* - if you don't know this name, then you're obviously not on the Omnisterra listserver...
smile_k_ani_32.gif
If someone is serious about CPs, then they probably contribute to (or at least monitor):
- omnisterra listserver (oldest cp discussion group)
- Terra
- CPUK
- possibly Gardenweb (few posts tho...)

Jim and Ben,
I know of a good bog south of Letchworth park,
it has a wooden boardwalk so you can get out among the plants without walking on the bog itself.
S. purpurea and some Drosera.
maybe we can get together next summer and check it out!
maybe meet at Letchworth and go from there..

Scot

That sounds awesome. Though, I'd have to convince my parents to let me go with "a bunch a people I met on the web"!
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Dec. 17 2005,10:01)]That sounds awesome.  Though, I'd have to convince my parents to let me go with "a bunch a people I met on the web"!  
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben
Ben,
my other hobby, besides CPs, is model railroads and real railroads..
On one of the train forums, a few of us from various places in New York state wanted to get together to look at some trains..
we met down in Waverly, NY (my hometown, so I was the "tour guide")
we looked at remains of the old railroad buildings..
anyway, it was myself, another guy from southern NY (who is about 25)
and a kid from Binghamton who is 15..
none of us had never met in person..we just knew each other from the forum..(identical to this situation, except with trains instead of CPs)
well, naturally the guy who is 15 cant say to his parents "hey Mom and Dad, im heading out for the day to hang out with 2 guys I know from the internet! see you tonight!"

the solution is simple...he just brought his Dad along! ;)
(his Dad is interested in trains too..so that helped)

you would just have to do the same thing!
just bring them along! ;)
tell your parents Letchworth park is very cool..(you have probably been there im sure)
nice place to spend a few hours..
then we can all caravan down to the bog, which is maybe 30 minutes south of Letchworth..
Letchworth plus the bog makes a cool day trip...they (or one of them) would probably go for it!

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Dec. 17 2005,3:58)]Jim and Ben,
I know of a good bog south of Letchworth park,
it has a wooden boardwalk so you can get out among the plants without walking on the bog itself.
S. purpurea and some Drosera.
maybe we can get together next summer and check it out!
maybe meet at Letchworth and go from there..

Scot
Now that's a great idea!

Scot, I also know of a bog that is in a park called Mendon Ponds Park. I only saw S. purpurea, but then again, I came late in October.

-Ben

Back