What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoot!

• Thread starter aprilh
  • Start date
Was it Woodsy the Owl? Give a hoot...and don't pollute--wonder how many stoned mice are running around those woods
smile_m_32.gif

saw that on the news today. still cant figure out how yah get a wild owl stoned.....................

Man, that is one seriously intense owl. You'd think he'd look the opposite.

Someone's overgrowing the government outdoors!

Cheers
Amori

lol Cute...does make you wonder how he got that in his system. ??

He probably found somebody's outdoor crop and got to snacking on the hemp seed - it's very nutritious. I think marijuana is pollinated by birds (cannibinoids are insect repellant) so the seed is pretty attractive to them. People grow stands of hemp amongst young evergreens to hide the heat signature they give off; the Christmas tree was probably the first place handy to take a nap.
~Joe

Correction, Cannabis seed is devoid of active cannabinols or cannabinoids. Also, Cannabis is strictly wind-pollinated. Sure, a sizeable bird can flutter around among flowering plants, thus pollinating, but it wouldn't be intentional (nor would the bird benefit from any rewards the plant has to offer (which it doesn't have)).

Either someone fed it, hot boxed it (in which case the investigators would've smelled old smoke as well), or the owl was exceptionally curious.
smile_n_32.gif

Cheers
Amori

I never said the seed contained them. But the stuff around the seed does, and the flowers sure do, so if they're insect repellents, then something besides insects could be visiting the flowers, no? If you look at gourmet bird foods, you'll find hemp seed in many of them. Birds love the seeds, and marijuana crops are going to seed this time of year down south. He was probably just browsing and ingested the flowers along with the seeds.
~Joe

Ah I see what you mean.
But aren't owls carnivores, the Screech Owl in particular? Maybe it ate a rodent full of goods.

Cheers
Amori

Yeah, that was my other thought, it was hanging out around the stand looking for 'magic mousies.' I imagine that stoned mice are pretty easy to catch.
Many carnivores seem to walk the omnivorous line with grains. Lots of dog and cat foods have things like rice; my cat will attack you to steal your popcorn. I can imagine a hungry owl being carb-curious this time of year when rodent populations are down, enough to start snacking on readily available grains. Especially if they're laced with habit-forming psychoactives.
~Joe

Back