Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wash your soil ingredients?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to clear up about my washing. I only wash 1 type of ingredient at a time, in case you read the above post and thought I dump everything together.

One thing I do know, is that since I've been washing my soil. I get much less algae, slime, and other mosses growing in my pots.
    Here is a shot of the left over junk from washing some perlite.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (m0bius @ Jan. 13 2006,11:22)]I don't think rinsing is as important for plants that will be grown in a drained container and where the excess water can flow away.
    Mike, up until about two years ago I would have agreed with you 100%. I grow most of my plants that way. Since then I have come across several bags of "100%" Canadian peat that had contaminants from the equipment used to process and bag the peat. The contaminants were usually time release fertilizer pellets with the occasional "moisture control" gelatin stuff tossed in to keep it interesting. Depending on how much of this stuff is contaminating the peat, flushing the pot by watering and letting the excess flow away may not be enough to reduce the fertilizer concentrations low enough to not cause harm to plant roots. Letting the peat soak a day or two allows the pellets to release their contents into the water where it can be poured off with the water. Pain in the posterior that it is, I now do a double wash just to remove as much of the fertilizer as I can. It doesn't help that some of the pellets float [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] .
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Washing is a total pain at times but i do it anyways for the health of the plants but what i wana know has anyone complained enough to these companies about whats being found in there peat/perlite?? I have found fertalizer balls/pellets and all sorts crap in the peat, i have found all sorts crud in the perlite as well im glad i take my time and wash and rewash and pick out every thing i possible can that i might think would harm my plants, yes it takes alooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for me while i sit at the table picking thru the mix but i know im doing something right... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know or does anyone have an informed opinion about whether a high TDS level affects different types of CPs differently? For example, it may affect Drosera more than it affects Nepenthes.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One can also use a collander, one that is used for spaghetti, for rinsing soil media. When I was living PA, one of the rare positive uses for a stream was to rinse media in the running water of that stream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott,
    Come on tell the truth.
    You not only washed the soil, but the pots and plants as well. Only problem is you just can not find them after the wash. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I am missing a few plants! I wasn't gonna mention this but a block away from are new residence I took notice of a stream. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234