Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering selling a few plants on eBay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Selling plants on ebay is easy.

Just put your plants on individually, set starting bids of $0.99, $1.99 or $2.99 depending on how much they're worth and make sure you have photos and some growing instructions up there.

As long as you are capable of sending plants in the post, it's a cinch.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You looking for some cash too huh [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] . Nepenthes will nab you the most on ebay. I guess I'll have to learn how to sell there after I get these plants from Australia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (lol @ Jan. 07 2006,2:02)]You looking for some cash too huh [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] . Nepenthes will nab you the most on ebay. I guess I'll have to learn how to sell there after I get these plants from Australia.
    Problem for me with selling Neps is I've so far only propagated the most common hybrids... my others have grown so slowly, i haven't yet been able to take cuttings.

I bet if i had a number of N. bicalcarata cuttings, they'd sell well!
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, I can only speak from a buyer's point of view, but I think that'll help you see what you should include. Pictures and intstructions are a must. If a straightup picture doesn't wow people, then include some pictures of the traps (even if they're microscopic.) Having some nice pictures is a way to motivate people to stick around and read what you have to say. If they like what you say (they should propably be able to say "Hey, that sounds easy enough, I could do that!") then you've got it.

Assuming that your target market is people new to these types of plants, having these plants be cheap is a good thing.

While utrics (etc) wont sell for as much as a Nep, that can be a good thing, and you should use it to your advantage. As a cheap plant, there's much less at stake, so if a person buys then, they don't need to cry for their wallet if the plants die.

Since people are less intimidated by the price and/or size, you can probably sell your plants to newbs more easily than you could a Nep. Since they are small, there will probably be a fair number of 'em, this gives you the opportunity to sell to a bunch of different people and get a good satisfaction record for people to look at.

All in all, having them be cheaper and smaller isn't really a bad thing at all.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should try to target both newbs and serious collectors. The point of using ebay is to get as much money as you can [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think we all realise that the idea is to get the most money, but that may require targeting a specific group (like in real life marketing.) The point is that he doesn't really need to worry about the "serious collector" group because they know what they're doing. The point is to include text that appeals to newbs; the serious collectors know what the plant is, and either they already know everything in which case any information you could give is useless, or they benefit from what is already written (growing conditions and the like.) Targeting new growers as a sales group doesn't prohibit long time growers from purchasing the items, it just means that you're making sure to include information which will encourage new growers to bid on the product. Make sense?
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ss- well cephs are selling in the 60s for adults and 30s for lil ones.

If your darlingtonia is large, break a side shoot and sell it they'll go for 30-40s if mature and you'd have to put them as "sarrecenia : cobra lilly darlintonia" so they are spotted.

Utrics sell for more if they are large plugs- typicly in the 10s
    but if you sell them in kits they can go into the hundreds, ive seen them go for 120.

helias sell for huge amounsts if they are mature.
    HAS ANYONE SEEN THE AMAZING HELIAS THAT ARE SELLING RIGHT NOW!? they are $60 right now and belive be they'll fetch $200-400! they are heliamphora chimantensis and follicularis.

Sarrecenia do horible.

Nepenthes always go for 20-30s if its a cutting from a mature plant.
    Mens Et Manus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12