Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering selling a few plants on eBay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, if this violates forum rules, feel free to lock/delete, as i certainly don't wish to compete with PFT.

I plan not to sell any plants PFT sells, and I am NOT offering to sell plants here to PFT forum members. (They can all trade with me for free, anyway...)

My question is:

Of the plants on my growlist that PFT does NOT sell, which sell the best on eBay for the highest value?

Is there a significant difference in price paid for Utrics if an established 3" pot is offered, as opposed to a 1.5" square starter plug?

I am not looking to sell a lot; just enough so that my plants "pull their weight and pay their rent" to satisfy my wife. If I can recoup about what I paid for plants and plant growing supplies, it should satisfy her enough.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Of the plants on my growlist that PFT does NOT sell, which sell the best on eBay for the highest value?
    You can easily do a search on completed sales to get an idea (although they only go back a few months(?))

Although it's probably obvious - shipping now may not be a good thing...

Also - people there tend to have very high 'standards'. I guess when they're paying good money for something, they expect something close to perfection (packaging, plant condition, timeliness, communication, etc).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes - most fetch 15+

Sarracenia - Not all that interested in these so I don't look at prices, but I would assume they do well ?10+?

Pinguicula - some do well others don't 5-10

Utricularia - again some do good others don't, not many full pots get put up for auction. Most plugs go for 2-5.
    You have a few that might get over the 5 mark.
    Groups of Utricularia do better then if sold individually, you get more bidding wars on them.

I would assume (you know what they say about assuming) that offering collections of Pinguicula, and Sarracenia would fetch a better price as well.

Quote[/b] ]Also - people there tend to have very high 'standards'. I guess when they're paying good money for something, they expect something close to perfection (packaging, plant condition, timeliness, communication, etc).
    Packing I'm not to picky about, plant condition is a must as well as timeliness. Even slight lapses in those 2 are ok, as long as communication is excellent.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ Jan. 06 2006,5:47)]Utricularia - again some do good others don't, not many full pots get put up for auction. Most plugs go for 2-5.
    You have a few that might get over the 5 mark.
    Groups of Utricularia do better then if sold individually, you get more bidding wars on them.
    I assumed I'd do better selling them in sets rather than individually. Plus, since they're getting them all in one shipment, they'll pay more per utric, since shipping for the set would likely be constant (assuming I'm offering plugs, and not pots).
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol my wife keep threatening to do this to me. i may give it a try this spring summer. when i purchase plants off ebay im want them to get to me ASAP and want them to be in good condition when they get to me which usually means good packaging. if you have any delays in shipping contact the buyer ASAP and this goes a long, long ways twords keeping them happy. personally i dont mind paying extra to make sue they were shipped with a tracking number so i can conferm they have been sent and are on their way. but this is me. good luck Scott. ive been contemplating doing simmilar around here. start a bunch of D. capensis from seed and sell hem to the local greenhouse or sell them myself
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SS, sell the wife. Get more for her than the plants anyway, and the nagging goes away. OR!- Find a new woman who supports both you and the hobby, and be happy! OR- I will shut up and you can handle it any way you want too!!!! LOL!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]SS, sell the wife. Get more for her than the plants anyway, and the nagging goes away.
    And when she takes all your stuff with her , you'll have more room forthe plants.

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Jan. 07 2006,11:07)]SS, sell the wife. Get more for her than the plants anyway, and the nagging goes away. OR!- Find a new woman who supports both you and the hobby, and be happy! OR- I will shut up and you can handle it any way you want too!!!! LOL!!!!!
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] Maybe that should be the other way around for us ladies with hubbies that need to go and then we will have more room for our plants... LOL!!!!! Atleast the plants dont yak back at us or give us a hard time.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] Besides they also dont trash the house and we dont have to clean up after them nor do they leave the darn toilet seat up... "CP's gota love um"... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast