Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: northiana,ampullarias,ferns,orchids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jonte_rm @ Jan. 15 2006,4:23)]You know, buying plants that are collected this way is supporting ILLEGAL collecting and also by posting them pics you are doing commercal for these guys...

Dont you understand this?

And why is it that nobody HERE understands this?
    Pretty good for your first post! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

As much as I am against field collecting, I don't think that one or two plants will do any harm. Its the big things like construction work that do the damage. As far as the 'advertising' goes I doubt anyone is dense enough to take a plane halfway round the world to get a few Neps, which they probably can't bring back anyway.

BTW, welcome to the forum. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes one or two plants will do harm... Because if I go and buy 3 field collected plants, the man that sold them to me thinks "Good, I got money, why dont I go in to the forrest and collect 5 more?"..

And when he has done that another guy is buying from him and he go and collect more from the forrest.. And it is all started...

cheers // Johannes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that while protecting plants is important, it is equally necessary to consider the plights of these people who sell the plants. Usually, these sales represent their livelihoods. It is perhaps all too easy to think that RM0.30 is peanuts to people, but it is equally true that some people live by these amounts of money on a daily basis. At times like these, there is a divorce between what the law advocates and what the people on the ground are capable of obeying. I suspect the local authorities know about this, and have chosen to keep an eye shut because they too can understand the difficulties of life in those villages.

I am by no means saying that plant conservation is unnecessary - on the contrary, I am in full support of it. All that I am saying is that instead of making sweeping statements which convey the message that field collection is wrong per se, one should have some consideration of what it is that is the situation there. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So... Are you buying girls to? Because they have to live and earn money..

I know that mayby they are doing it to survive...And perhaps we all should do the same if we where in their situation..

BUT...Give them money.. Give money to organisations that helps them..Dont buy things from them...I mean... If you see a poor man that have catched a monkey in the rainforrest..I hope you dont buy that because the man have to survive..

Dont missunderstand me..Cause I understand your point ebeyonder...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I find the first sentence of your comment fairly offensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point simply is this: some people do what they do because they need the money. I think it is a bit naive to imagine that there will be "organisations" around to help these people. There is sometimes a disconnection between the lofty aims of these organisations and what actually happens on the ground.

All that I am saying is that, to someone in a developed nation like you or I, plant conservation may appear to be very important. However, to someone else in a rainforest village in the middle of nowhere, would he care so much for the conservation of plants at the expense of his family?

Perhaps I am painting a very extreme picture. But it is important, in the inter-connected world we live in, to realise that perspectives of "wrongness" will differ between different cultures. IP laws are another good example. While countries such as the US have argued for the enforcement of IP rights, countries such as China have been slow, in practice, to do so. There is a discord not between the desire to obey laws but what the law actually is in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "All that I am saying is that, to someone in a developed nation like you or I, plant conservation may appear to be very important. However, to someone else in a rainforest village in the middle of nowhere, would he care so much for the conservation of plants at the expense of his family?"

Ofcource he dont care so much fore the plants... And I am understanding why he is collecting all the plants and try to sell them... But I dont understand why peoples that have so much money so they can write here in the forum is supporting ILLEGAL collecting... Do you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what you are trying to say.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast