What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. vikings on ebay

• Thread starter lol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    viking

lol

BANNED
I'm sure many have seen the current slew of vikings being sold on ebay by a seller from Thailand. Is this legal? I don't believe they use any documentation, although you may not need any since viking is an undescribed species. I don't believe the main source, nepenthesthai, uses documentation either. What do you guys know?

We all know that we can't just fly into Thailand and bring a plant back with us, but within the country it may be legal to collect the plants, especially if someone owns the property on which they grow. I'm not sure about them selling, but maybe they've got export permits (or don't need them) and are assuming any buyers will have proper import permits. Anyway, people trade plants illegally quite a lot, though usually not that openly.

-D. Lybrand

Glad to see that someone is aware of this as well. Was just going to post it.

CAUTION: The auction may be false. I highly doubt that the seller is selling the real viking since the price is ridiculously low and I don't think there are that many vikings outside of Thailand yet. He may just send some mirabilis substitute. I have emailed the person about them and trying to set up an appointment to visit him (he still thinks I think he is Nong) when I go to Bangkok. Plus he tried to fake 2nd quality english.
laugh.gif
This guy is registered as narongpol123.

I know Nong and he has said he does not know anything about ebay and is not auctioning anything on it. Plus take a look at the member's profile, it says registered in AMERICA. Look!. The content is exactly the same as on Nong's site (here), the guy has just copied it.

What can Nong do about it? This isn't right.
confused.gif
Some of you have some experience w/ idiots copying your photos right?

I had purchased a pack off ebay, but haven't paid because of suspicions. I don't believe this guy has been masquerading as Nong, however. His address is indeed in Thailand, or atleast that's the address he gave me to send a money order to.

Weird, then why is he registered in the US? There was a bit of confusion after I asked Nong whether I could pay him by cash when I won the auction. Of course he was surprised.

I just mistook him for Nong as the website content is exactly the same. If he is located in Thailand then it is possible he has the true viking. Still it is so much cheaper than Nong's...

If you do get it, lol, do let me know as I have wanted a viking for a long time...
smile.gif

I saw the vikings listed as well and also found it odd. Someone may want to contact ebay. Jason, if you find out anything conclusive showing that what he is doing is illegal, then you should definitly contact ebay to get his listings stopped ASAP. I suppose we'll need to keep an eye open...

Viking are not so hard to find when you're in thailand. I saw them on the street markets for ridiculous prices...

I'm not touching those with a 20 foot pole. If you want a viking, buy it from Trent.

Capslock

I will probably buy one from Nong himself. Expensive though. I keep on seeing nepenthes when I visit the huge outdoor market in Bangkok. But that was before I could tell the difference between a Nep and a sundew, let alone identify vikings.
smile_m_32.gif
the vendor told me there were three species in a large bundle (one of which I now recall as mirabilis), wanted to sell me the whole thing for less than a US dollar. Then I realised they had been ripped out the soil and there were hardly any roots left. Not many vendors in thailand know the true value of what they are selling (but still, must...bargain...) BTW Yoss, by ridiculous do you mean ridiculously expensive or ridiculously cheap?

I will watch the guy. Have emailed hima again and waiting for a reply.

Thailand.. what do you think? Ridiculously cheap of course.
If you can buy a good dinner for just above 1USD how much do you expect plants to cost? ;)

I'd have to pay them at least 5 times that to be fair. I don't enjoy robbing people
smile_h_32.gif

The plants *appear* to be illegally poached.

A few members have contacted ebay, although it seems they can't be bothered to do anything about it at the moment.

I would urge you to report the member - if he's innocent he's got nothing to worry about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Jan. 09 2006,3:27)]The plants *appear* to be illegally poached.

A few members have contacted ebay, although it seems they can't be bothered to do anything about it at the moment.

I would urge you to report the member - if he's innocent he's got nothing to worry about.
One would get the impression, wouldn't they?
I am kind of curious to see what happens to the winner of one of those auctions-like the import paperwork, CITES, ect.
There is good news out of this....I believe Nong was reporting that the Tsunami wiped out the local(or so he thought), and if these are the geniune article, apparently some populations are alive and well(until somebody digs them up and sells them on eBay).

Cheers,

Joe

I don't know. I would certainly like to send my money for the auction, but I have this hankering suspicion that someone would report me, and cause me a lot of trouble. So "iffy"
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Jan. 09 2006,8:06)]I don't know. I would certainly like to send my money for the auction, but I have this hankering suspicion that someone would report me, and cause me a lot of trouble. So "iffy"
smile_h_32.gif
If you need to wonder whether someone would report you, then it is probably something you should squash in the first place. If you are doing everything legal then you have nothing to worry about. Sounds like to me you realize that it might not be a good idea but still would like to get your hands on a plant through illegal means.

If it smells like a donkey, looks like a donkey & sells for the price of a donkey, then you can bet your bottom dollar you aren't getting a horse.

Wolf

lol - tip for next time, if you intend of doing something illegal/immoral don't go bragging and trying to justifiy it among people from all over the world...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would certainly like to send my money for the auction,

You bid, you win, you pay. No one can report you for winning an auction. You can only get out of paying if you have some sort of evidence suggesting that the product is of illegal origins or otherwise illegally obtained. I'd talk to the seller, find out what I can, even finding out that they intend to do something like not do paperwork then you're golden. If not, then you bid, you win, you pay.

Well obviously I'm not going to order, for obvious reasons. Somebody just signed up and posted a message that they got plants from this seller, and that they looked great. Since the person signed up today, and made that his first/second message, I suspect he is the seller himself.

But besides that, you still don't know the legality of it.

And thank you Est for stating the issue better than I could
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
lol - tip for next time, if you intend of doing something illegal/immoral don't go bragging and trying to justifiy it among people from all over the world...

What was that about? Did you not read any of his posts?

Sheesh.

-D. Lybrand

Back