What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glow in the dark pigs

• Thread starter Gawd_oOo
  • Start date
Are the pigs otherwise normal except for the flourescent trait? This trait is not harmful to the pigs? Do they know the effects of it many generations down?

Verrrrry interesting...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zac @ Jan. 18 2006,4:14)]Are you a geneticist by trade Pyro?
In a manner of speaking I am. I am working on my Ph.D. in bacterial genetics. And since all genetic studies have their "roots" in the same place (DNA) there is a lot of cross talk between different genetic disciplines. So, while I do not do work on so called higher organisms, I still have a fair amount of knowledge on the genetic aspects for them. Plus all the years of school to get to this point have a broad range of topics and my prior work in human genetics labs

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are the pigs otherwise normal except for the flourescent trait? This trait is not harmful to the pigs? Do they know the effects of it many generations down?

Otherwise they are normal, yes. GFP should not be harmful to the pigs, it has not proven harmful to any of the other GFP carrying organisms (ranging from bacteria and nematodes all the way up to monkeys.) Generational effects are not known for every GFP organism since not all have been breed for successive generations but in bacteria, nematodes, flies and fish at least there have not been any noted complications and we are probably into 7-10 years worth of generations for those organisms.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh yeah, I made a glow-in-the-dark venus flytrap once! Just fed it a firefly and the trap glowed for an hour or more! Then it died... luminol is toxic to most plants, I think.

Huh. That plant must not have been very strong. I've fed my flytraps several fireflies in an attempt for the coolest CP photo ever. None of my plants died.

Back