What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

interested in some opinions

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
would you rather be in buisness for your self and be dealing with all the headaches of running one or are you just happy to collect a paycheck at your job and not deal with the extra stress?

btw ive already made up my mind, i just need some things to fall into place, just curious as to what everyone else likes or would like to do since its been on my mind heavily for several months now.

They say that the grass is always greener, but I would prefer to own my own business. If I could make it work on paper I would do it in a heartbeat.

lol i just have to get the bank to agree with my train of thought. im looking to purchase an existing buisness which after payroll and bills clears over $8,000 a month in clear profit. it works on paper, just got to get the bank to go with me on the plan, which they should given the circumstances

Good luck to you! At this point in my life, I'd rather work for someone. I've had limited experience, but I believe that you experience with the business is quite extensive, right? If it drives you and you really want to do it, then I'd definitly go for it.

ive been at it for 4 years, my wife has been the manager for 6, worked here for 8 or 9. will see what the bank says on Thursday. Dave S. has been trying to prepare me for potential road blocks and how to get around them today as he has come up with a few things i hadnt thought of. all in all i think i have a good shot. if things go as planned ill actually be able to afford a greenhouse in a year or two AND afford to heat and cool it
smile_n_32.gif

I owned my own business for several years, but decided to go after a childhood dream of being a police officer. There were a lot of headaches, but I plan to own a business again after retiring from the force.

I don't think it's a good idea - the first thing you're supposed to do after taking over a business is to pillage the pension fund and beat up the employees.  That would seem to make less sense for someone who's one of the employees.

Ignoring that problem, you seem the type who is motivated enough to pull it off.  And, if the finances work out, there's something to be said for being in charge.  But my devil's advocate side says think long term and consider how changes in technology (and society) can affect the business.  Our area's premiere camera & photo business looked strong ten years ago and there's a for sale sign on the empty building today.  A friend built up a neighborhood pharmacy but now works for CVS.

Is it the newspaper?

I hate being a cog in a giant machine, so I say do it! If you work in a small business where you're valued AND can make a difference, that's cool too. Something inside me just reacts negatively to working for giant corporations. I hate them. They aren't humanistic enough. Small business is what the American dream is about. Go for it!!!

Capslock <-- works for my own business (at least a good percentage).

smile.gif
I say go for it, JR and i owned our own biz and ya gota remember one thing and depending on what type biz ya have sometimes if not most it takes time to get off the ground and really start making a profit and enough to cover the turn over of the biz to keep you going.. JR and i retierd from our biz but we also ended up moving as well, we always thought about reopening again but we are struggling with our daughters illness and that leaves us no time for the biz.
smile_h_32.gif

I'm selling all my belongings and investing in the Florida Lottery... I'm fairly certain I can win.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dyflam @ Jan. 17 2006,7:29)]I'm selling all my belongings and investing in the Florida Lottery... I'm fairly certain I can win.
confused.gif
smile.gif
smile_n_32.gif
LMAO!!! Dyflam...
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif

yeah Bruce im looking at buying the paper. basically the only things that would change by us taking it over is we get the profits. my wife is already runing the thing. the current owner is as hands off as possible. he is basically interested in keeping the paper as is and taking as much money out of it as possible. though we are switching to a new printer in a couple weeks and we will be able to finally run full color. i have a few things i would like to do to with it and invest in. but i refuse to add more work and stress without it being my paper. we are the only job work printer with in 50 miles, we have the only actual photo lab within 100 miles, meaning we are the only one doing 35mm(yes its now "out dated" but we still are processing about 100 rolls a week on average as alot of ppl are still using those cheap disposable cameras), though we are set up to do digital, photo greeting cards, passport photos and enlargements ect and are the only one within 50 miles that can do digital work and enlargements. infact i do most of the "custom" work as in messing with old negatives like the 3x3's and such. i think its a solid investment. the town is growing again, Darla to a LOCAL parttime job as a computer programmer and is making decent money. if they can bring in a buisness like that and be able to pay good money there is alot of hope for this town.

It's great when local media can stay in local hands. That didn't happen here, where a few companies bought pretty much every local paper. Have you applied for a liberal media membership card yet?

Own my own business, if it was something I loved doing. If I could take one of my hobbies pro, I think I'd be very happy, even with long work days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Jan. 18 2006,2:52)]Own my own business, if it was something I loved doing.  If I could take one of my hobbies pro, I think I'd be very happy, even with long work days.
I think once it becomes a job you stop loving it. As soon as you know you HAVE to do something it starts to be a drag... except maybe fishing or golf.
smile.gif

Seriously even those would suck after a while.

I agree - the only time I didn't enjoy my time in the garden was the summer I worked on an organic research farm.  It isn't the same for everyone - there are people who turn their hobby into a business and still love it.  But it's never worked that way for me.  I love local newspapers and uncrumple & read the newspapers people use for packing material in plant shipments.  But maybe I'd never do that again if I worked for (or owned) a newspaper.

Back