What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Orleans Botanical Garden

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As you might expect, Katrina dealt a horrible blow to the botanical gardens in the City Park of New Orleans. In the aftermath of the storm the extended power outages resulted in the loss of virtually all of their orchids, staghorn ferns, bromelids and nepenthes. Many other plants that made this such a wonderful place were also lost. In the process of trying to restore this part of the park, requests have been made for plant donations. They will take seeds, cuttings or plants identical or similar to what was in the original collection. If you have something you can donate please click here and then to the 'wish list' link at the top of the page. This list is only based on what they have been able to put together so far. If it is not on the list, and falls into one of the aforementioned categories, please contact them directly. They have been going around to the local orchid society meetings to ask for our help and now is the time to do something that helps to restore some of the botanical collection lost because of this horrible storm.

Thanks for your consideration!!!

edit: Oh yeah, they take money donations too. I just thought it would be appealing cool to be able to say 'Hey, I gave my plant to help restore the botanical garden collection in New Orleans.'

This link shows what the orchids looked like post-Katrina.

This is a C&P from another website I visit with that deals with Orchids, but they also need some Nepenthes too. Was just thinking some folks here may be able to assist them in restarting their plant collection. Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the post. Ummm...where's the link??

N.O.B.G. Wishlist

Here it is. Since this is my region it might be worth it to approach them with the idea of putting in a native C.P. Bog. And some collaboration between The NASC, and the gardens. Any thoughts?
I know there only asking for Neps ,as far as CP'S go, and not many at that, but if it's revanue they need they could definately take a few notes from the Alanta B.G.

Sorry about not putting the link in. I thought it came through with the C&P, but guess it didn't. The wish list is not complete from what I heard so I duno. I hope some people can help out.

Here is an idea:

I have printed out the list of plants on their donation list. I am going to send this list to one our largest local Greenhouses here in Richmond along with a letter suggesting they help out if they can. I don't know if they will donate anything, but since they have resources to plants more than most individuals, I figured it can't hurt to try.
smile.gif

Maybe some of you can do the same and see if we can't get some local greenhouses to help them.

Hey Zak...why don't you attend the next NASC meeting and bring that up?  We can always talk about it and see what we could do.  If anyone SHOULD have a CP garden, it would be a botanical garden in the Gulf Coast region.

--------------

If anyone wishes to make a plant plea from your local greenhouses, here is a letter you could copy and paste if you'd like to use similar wording.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dear Plant Manager,

It was recently called to my attention the dire needs of the New Orleans Botanical Gardens.  They lost a tremendous amount of plants from the devastating hurricane Katrina.  They are asking the public for plant donations so they can rebuild their beautiful botanical garden.

As an individual, I am going to try to help them out, but I thought perhaps a larger entity would have a better chance at having some of the plants they need with properly labeled identification.

I have been a customer of the Great Big Greenhouse for 25 years.  I thought I would pass this information along to you in hopes that you could perhaps spare a few plants to assist them in rebuilding their gardens.  Hurricane Katrina was an unprecedented disaster and it will take the kindness and assistance of ALL of us across the U.S. to try return some normalcy to the region.

We all know the peace and joy of meandering through beautiful green and flowering gardens and this “food for the soul” should be returned to the Gulf Coast region.  We need to bring back beauty to an area made ugly by tragedy.

I hope you will take this into consideration.  Please pass this information along to anyone you know who also might be able to help.

Thank you very much for your attention to this request.

Sincerely,

XXXX

OK I will make a concerted effort to be there. And we can discuss the best approach.
Neprick sent me the min. from the annual meeting.

Back