Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought my daughter Sea Monkeys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew these when i was a kid, and despite my initial disappointment that they looked nothing like the illustrations, i still thought they were pretty neat.

My 6-year-old likes doing little science experiments, so i thought she'd like these.

I already warned her that the pictures don't look like the sea monkeys, and googled "Artemia" (the genus name) so she could see them.

Anybody ever grow triops? How are they?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Triops, oh how I love Triops. In fact, I wrote a whole section on them in my webpage, based on things I learned from other websites and from things I learned myself.

Here it is: Here

Also, see Mytriops.com .

I've never raised sea monkeys, though.

Good luck,
    -Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've raised both, and have to say I preferred the Triops - very intriguing creatures indeed. Unfortunately I lost them due to a 4-day power cut caused by an ice storm, and with no light and no heating, I've found that they don't do too well... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif[/img]

Cheers
    Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sea Monkeys? Sea MONKEYS? yeah, right [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

I tried raising the infamous sea monkeys many times as a child. Once they even hatched... then Mom dumped 'em down the sink beacuse "eww, the water was all green..."

"What have I done wrong, O god of monkeys that inhabit the Sea?"

I didn't actually have a successful 'sea monkey' experience until I got into raising fresh water fish - the brine shrimp were needed as fry food.

I noticed that the brine shrip seemed to need some specific conditions: clean water, proper sea salt (no iodine added, etc) oxygenated water (air stone/bubbler). Of course the 'sea monkey' packages never seemed to mention this as I recall.

In retrospect - I place a harty vote for Triops!
    I purchased some eggs from an on-line vendor about 8 years ago. I followed the directions (use rain water!) and had great results. Six Triops longicaudatus hatched from the 1/2 package used. They lived for about 90 days, got pretty big (1.5 inches) and were nasty 'wee devils' becuase they started eating each other! Muahahahaha.
    I was pleased that the package of 'eggs' also contained ostracoda, daphnia, rotifier, fairy shrimp and a quite a few other fun little critters.

One other thing to note. I only used 1/2 of the package of eggs 8 years ago... last December I re-discovered the package and dropped a portion of the remainder of the eggs into a jar of rainwater set in my lowland tank. Many fairy shrip, daphnia and ostracods hatched. The population quickly dwindled however - I don't think I used a large enough jar! The last fairy shrimp just died about a week ago.

I purchased from this fellows shop - kinda strange advertising but a good deal at $4:
    http://www.rocksandminerals.com/fossil/triops.htm

- Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to LOVE sea monkeys when I was a kid! I raised them a couple times and was always so sad when they finally died out.

Triops have always seemed really cool to me. I'd love to try to raise them someday...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i buy one of that kits long ago and....i lost it....but weirdly my house is full of small silver insects, like shrimps....they maybe evolucionate!!!!!.:O im amazed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prolly just silver fish. They eat your books. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine died...
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast