Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here grow cacti?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya i tink i can help some1 this time... i have like 27 cacti... but i dont know much abouth... so just take the good you read from me, but tink before following my instructions.... i tink if the part from down die, u got to re ingert it, i mean give him another host, is like the one of this picture?? http://www.infojardin.com/fichas/cac...hanovichii.htm if i cant post this link please erase it, and sorry. if is that one a friend almost kill the one she have cuz she overwater it.. my cacti have from november with out water, i notice this cacti host die is they recibe direct sunlight, i have them indoor, well i hope many ppl help u, and if u gotta change the host good luck, see ya!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ImWindPlant, that's the same cactus I'm trying to save. So are you saying that it's saveable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!, The cactus of the girl i know is ok now... the part of up orange save, but the green part of down die, with caution we remove the orange cacti and put it in a new base, was the same specie of base, we buy it in the same place, so we cut the part of the base from up (just a litle), and we put the orange part clean on it, i fell like it wuz cruelty, but if we dont do that i read the orange ball will die, but i wuz tinking, another girl i know buy other of that cacti, but only a half of the part from down die, she stop watering the cacti and the half that die still jelly and brown, but the other half is green, maybe just taking care of it and dont watering him, the cacti will suvirve, but maybe if it is very bad, is better give him another base, i will search on the web info on english abouth injerts and cacti, maybe in this time some1 more can give you more help, i just hope the cacti get well soon, well see ya later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your help WindPlant, I really appreciate it. Is it hard to give the cactus another base? Like you said, would I just have to buy another one at Home Depot then cut off the top and lay the old one on top of the new base? Does it just grow into the new base? Hmmmm....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The correct term is grafting. Basically, find a suitable root stock, and regraft the top portion (Gymnocalycium mihanovichii in this case) onto it. Try this website to get a rough idea on how to do it. There's plenty to read and learn about grafting cacti if you Google it.
    Keep in mind that these grafted irradiated cacti are meant to expire after a while (like I mentioned earlier, an advantage for retailers at the expense of the unknowing, frustrated customer).

Cheers
    Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im searching and tinking, it supose to be just like that!, letme see if i can get some pictures of cutting and all that. You welcome i will help all ppl i can, wen i can, [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] , thanks and see ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Jan. 18 2006,12:24)]The correct term is grafting. Basically, find a suitable root stock, and regraft the top portion (Gymnocalycium mihanovichii in this case) onto it. Try this website to get a rough idea on how to do it. There's plenty to read and learn about grafting cacti if you Google it.
    Keep in mind that these grafted irradiated cacti are meant to expire after a while (like I mentioned earlier, an advantage for retailers at the expense of the unknowing, frustrated customer).

Cheers
    Amori
    If this cactus is meant to expire after a while, is it even worth trying to save? I'm wondering if I should just forget about the grafting and see if it recovers on its own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I've read that site, it seems that grafting isn't too impossible. The thing is, where would I get a new stem/bottom portion?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast