Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Get ready for the cold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Jan. 21 2006,3:04)]Why do you say GFS doesn't handle cold air well? GFS and ECMWF both spotted the trend for cold air to flood into western Europe next Thursday/Friday about 4 days ago.

Massive cold pooling is no good through unless the synopics come together to expand or move it. Is GEM still forecasting that large high pressure cell to move the cold air south?
    It handles it well out to 5 days, but after that, it is VERY inaccurate. On Jan. 10th, it forecasted that today, Jan. 21st, that we would have a high of 32F, but our actual high today was 69F. So as you can see, it is very inaccurate in foecasting coldweather past 5 days. ECMWF is also called the Euro, and it handles cold air alot better than the GFS does,especially past 5 days.

Seedjar, if you live out West, you will be under the ridge at least through Feb., so you will continue to have mild weather.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its 83 and sunny here today, I think I got a bit of a sunburn on my face. I don't really understand why you folks up north are always talking about the cold snowy frigid weather - what do you expect after all it is winter. If its that bad, pack up your stuff and move down here, I had the air conditioner on in the car today and can still go into my backyard and pick tomatoes and peppers.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't tell them that! According to our news channels Arizona (southern parts specifically) are already the highest growth areas in the USA. I say, stay where you are. That goes for you darn snowbirds too!! If you want the winters here, stay for the summers!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (buster1 @ Jan. 21 2006,4:01)]Its 83 and sunny here today, I think I got a bit of a sunburn on my face....I had the air conditioner on in the car today and can still go into my backyard and pick tomatoes and peppers.
    I know it is nicer in Kissimee than here, but do not spread the news too much, we might see an invasion!

Quote[/b] ]I say, stay where you are. That goes for you darn snowbirds too!! If you want the winters here, stay for the summers!!!
    Still, it has been hard to adjust to the summer heat (compared to the Puget Sound's mild everything), be prepared if you do not listen to Adnedarn's advice!
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To slide further off topic - my parents moved to one of those retirement communities outside Phoenix several years ago. Gated communities are springing up everywhere as people cash in on the inflated value of their homes elsewhere. Then the old people vote against every local school budget because they feel no connection to any of the area's children. Some have even seceded from local school districts. The elderly spend their time playing golf on grass growing in a desert and driving into stores and each other's cars. Maybe my mother-in-law had the right idea; she moved to the northern border of Vermont. She'll shiver every time those synopics send massive cold pooling her way, whatever that means, but at least she's pretty well protected from other old people.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bruce, that is one of the funniest (and truest) things i've read in a looong time [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] Well, this and a topic I read a few days ago about not giving tap water to CPs...

Speaking of driving through buildings... That happened not to long ago to another store here (it's pretty common, is Bruce's explanation why??) The next day when I drove by, there was plywood covering the hole where the car once sat. On the wood there were spraypainted words that said "Drive through closed"

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How come 10 day weather forecasts aren't showing this? They're showing February 2nd with a high of 43 for me in New York City. I would think that weather centers would put this into account on account of a 40 degree difference in a weather forecast would destroy their credibility.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Jan. 24 2006,10:02)]How come 10 day weather forecasts aren't showing this? They're showing February 2nd with a high of 43 for me in New York City. I would think that weather centers would put this into account on account of a 40 degree difference in a weather forecast would destroy their credibility.
    Amateur Expert,the reason is because the cold air won't be getting to New York until around Feb. 10th. Also, when the air gets to New York, it will have modified (warmed some on its journey south).

Looking at current computer models, the Euro continues to show large amounts of arctic air bottling up in Alaska and western Canada. It also shows several high pressures located near the North Pole, which is pumping the air from the North Pole into Alaska and Canada.
    http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/data/m...ast/hdf_50.gif
    Seven day Euro shows this with lots of purples in Alaska. Go to ECMWF Surface/500MB Forecasts for North America about half way down and click on Day 7.
    http://vortex.plymouth.edu/models.html

EDIT- Forgot to add, it is -45F in Fairbanks,AK,whereas they should be at around 5F this time of year!
    http://www.weather.com/weather/local...search_current
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast