What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back from the dead

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Hey folks, been a while since I've been around, had my hands buried in clay is my excuse!

I found out my server crashed and lost all my files (photos and text) so www.nepenthesgarden.com info site is gone and my backup disk has only an empty folder labeled with the site, no files in it. aarrrggghhh! So I apologize to anyone who might have tried to look at in the past few months.

Here's a few personal sculpting projects I've whipped up since Oct:

Fabricator general of Mars
fab5.jpg

fab9.jpg

Dragonlance Highlord
highlord6.jpg

Necromantia
necro3.jpg

Gorlord
goat2.jpg

Great Unclean One
unclean3.jpg

Mollusc spawn
spawn2.jpg

more views at: http://www.toyriot.com/gallery.htm

Hope you dig em!

Hi Josh
Wow there cool,you should start your own wallace and gromit
series called mutant battles or something like that
smile_m_32.gif

bye for now Julian

JOSH!!
every time I was offline and you crossed my mind I determined to PM ya and see what the heck, but every time I came online I forgot...

I figured you had just shifted into HYPER mode, and lo and behold, here's the proof...
MAN your work is getting interesting, lots more "planes" going on that your earlier, more "epic" stuff, looking good Bro!!

I'm always just...in awe.... They are all incredible. Good to have you back.
smile.gif

Today seems to be the day for the return of those MIA.

Not only is your artwork top-flight, your dedication to your craft is most admirable.

"the great unclean one" is my idol.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Jan. 20 2006,1:49)]I found out my server crashed and lost all my files (photos and text) so www.nepenthesgarden.com info site is gone and my backup disk has only an empty folder labeled with the site, no files in it. aarrrggghhh! So I apologize to anyone who might have tried to look at in the past few months.
I wondered why all my links to your photos were broken. What a bummer when you lose files.

Having experienced disk crashes over the years has taught me to make frequent backups onto a separate slave drive as well as to CDs or DVDs which are kept in different places.

Thanks for thr kind words folks! I've had a bit of "I can't do anything right" for the past week while trying to finish the heads on a couple new dual figure sculpts. Everything looks bad and I always end up squishing it up and trying again. darn superwomen with their attractive comic book faces that have to look hot even when they're making an angry face...

So today I took a break and brought out the machette and hacked down all the weedy, half dried neps and relived some of that tension! I haven't seen the back wall of any of these terrariums in almost 3 years! Now I see all kinds of new space for more!
smile_n_32.gif

Sorry Bob! I forgot you had all those pic links. I'm still hoping I'll find a CDR somewhere with the site on it somehwhere as it was about 2 years worth of work... I too make those backups periodically but for some reason the last one is empty. That's a real heartstopper when you think "No sweat, I've got it covered it's on the disk..." and it aint!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

good to see you and your work again, Swords!

Hey! I'd been wondering what'd happened to you! I was starting to fear that the folks at your mom's work had hired a hitman and taken you out of the picture.
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Ho-ly CRAP! Those works are awesome! The fabricator general is amazing! And I love the mollusc! You, sir, are a genius!

Thanks very much for the concern! She took the early retirement (not a full pension but pretty close)to avoid any further harrassment. Her friends at work hung up a huge banner on her last day "Congratulations on your forced retirement", the company didn't like that one bit but that was the point!
smile_n_32.gif
I don't know where they got it made but it was pretty cool, vynil with printed letters not just computer paper! I think she's happer than I've ever seen her now though, a bit bored at times but I'm keeping after her to try and get her into doing portraits or some kind of art again.

The Fabricator is slowly being painted, you'll really be able to see some detail in the paintup pics. He's actually part one of a 3 figure diorama (Fabricator General, Celestial Navigator and Terrestrial Observer) which will make up the command bridge of a Warhammer 40K "Mechanicum of Mars" forgeworld ship during the height of the Horus Heresy.

The mollusc is the "beast of burden" who will be pulling the Great Unclean One's plague cart. I've yet to sculpt the carcass chariot and the snails war altar/yoke but just for scale here's a shot of the unclean one (before he was finished) next to a standard space marine terminator:
unclean1.jpg

As you can probably tell, I rediscovered the Warhammer stuff recently and I've collected all the recent background info books, comics and artbooks. I love all of it! Since I don't play the game (no friends) but have always liked the atmosphere and mythos behind the Warhammer world these books are great without any info about the game in them just fantasy. I love all the fake supporting documentation in books like 13th black crusade, sabbat worlds, darkness rising, etc. Too bad theres so much crappy art in the enormous Liber Chaotica book though, sketches are cool but not in a book that expensive! The art could've been SOOO much more! There's a mindbending amount to read though. Not the least of which, the insane ranting notes scribbled in the margins by the imaginary author! I'm almost positive HP Lovecraft would've been proud of this style of text presentation!

The first one looks sorta like a mechanical cthulhu.

Back