Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new pup pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful dobe! We had one growing up named Shadow. Sadly, we also had an Irish setter, and they did not get along. When Shadow passed, my parents rescued a dobe that my sis named Xenon. Why? Because when the dog passed gas, it had no odor! Now that's a great dog! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is lovely. I think those ears are great, they make a tough dog look soppy [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indy,
    Yes, it's a beautiful dog, but cropping a dog's ears is illegal in the UK, and quite rightly so.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    T.

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeremiah, beautiful Dobe, nice show crop on the ears and nice slender face with good well place almond eyes, very intellagent. Nice large firm bone structure, i use to raise dobes but mine were working bloodlines with heavier body structure shorter croped ears and much wider heads. Very nice pics...Thanks for sharring. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have his ears been cropped to make them stand up like that [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

quite right it should be illegal to crop their ears as should be tail docking, which is something else they are trying to make illegal over here. If they didn't need parts of their ears or tails they would be born without them. Anyone who thinks they should be cropped should have their own ears done first to see how it feels, maybe that would change their minds. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (indymental @ Jan. 31 2006,1:48)]If they didn't need parts of their ears or tails they would be born without them. Anyone who thinks they should be cropped should have their own ears done first to see how it feels, maybe that would change their minds. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    As a genetisist I have to argue against that for the simple reason that they are not allowed to evolve to that point naturally thanks to the selective breeding enforced on them at the hands of man.

There are very good reasons for cropping the ears of some dogs, Dobies in particular are very prone to persistent, debilitating ear infections if their ears are not cropped. So it is not always just for looks as many anti-cropping advocates would have you believe (not pointing at anyone specific here.) That said I did not get my Dobies ears cropped and do not believe in the practice myself. I "pay" for it by having to be extrememly vigilent with her ears and clean them weekly but that does not bother me overly much

@ Swords
    Quote[/b] ]Everyone I know who's had one they were very gentle dogs (until you knocked on the door-or table just for fun!)
    I can vouch for that but go one further. Mine is so mild mannered and gentle that one time, just before bed, she heard me throw the dead-bolton the door and erupted in the characteristic Dobie bark that puts fear in the hearts of all rational men. At this point I was fearful that I was going to become victim to my own pet but after a few moments I realized that she was no where to be seen (though still barking in earnest.) Walking back to the bedroom I stepped in something warm and wet. Turns out her "attack dog" response is to bark as loud as all get out but to run in the opposite direction while losing bladder control and hiding under her pillow. What a wimp [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Jan. 31 2006,4:06)]There are very good reasons for cropping the ears of some dogs, Dobies in particular are very prone to persistent, debilitating ear infections if their ears are not cropped.
    That does not excuse cropping a dogs ears, it is barbaric. If your dog is one that suffers from recurring ear infections and there is no other way then maybe then, it should be considered as an option, but not all dobies will suffer from ear infections and so it is not necessary. You wouldn't have your newborn babies tonsils adenoids and appendix removed at birth because there is a possibility they will cause problems later on would you?

I'm not trying to knock anyone who does this, I'm just trying to understand why it is necessary.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeremiah, she is a beautiful dobie! Love that second pic. She looks very regal.

And dobies are great dogs. They can be quite gentle if reared properly. They can also be TRAINED to be good guard dogs but its training that makes a good guard dog, not aggression. I've never known a "mean" dobie. They are protective by nature but not mean.

As for cropping and docking. I can see both sides. Most of the time those practices have roots in practical applications...its not for appearances sake. My dog's tail is docked which is standard for his breed. I had no choice in the matter. Its done when they are 3 days old and is a centuries-old practice. It was done originally because using the tail was the only way an owner could get his dog out of an animal hole once the animal went to ground. Fox terriers don't back down from a challenge. They would stay down in a fox or badger hole until one or the other was killed and people didn't want to lose their dogs. So they hauled them out by the tail.

I'm an animal lover and don't agree with "alterations" for appearances sake. And yeah, it would be nice if nobody cropped or docked but that's not going to happen since its written into breed specifications.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast