What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#!&^@$ cars!

So I'm on my way to work this afternoon and I stop to get some gas. I come out and my key suddenly will not fit in the ignition! I finally got the key in there but it won't turn, it's not just locked but frozen in place. I tried my spare key which I keep in my wallet and it won't even fit more than halfway in.

Nobody I spoke to, even the tow guy had ever seen/heard of something like this! How about you folks? What could have happened in the two minutes I went in to get a MT Dew and pay for my gas? Getting the car on and off the flatbed and was a whole other adventure since the key has to be in the ignition to shift it.

Guess I've got time tonight to finish my African shaman sculpture's costume but I won't be going to the orchid show this weekend....
smile_h_32.gif

Sounds like either something broke inside your ignition or either some was pushed into the ignition by the key. Otherwise I have no idea.

A broken ignition doesn't slow some of the people in my neighborhood. A locked door doesn't either.

Depends on the car... some cars like older datsons have this problem with their ignitoins.. where they begin to wear out... then one day you take the key out without it being all the way int he off position then you cant get it back in... the repair? new igntion... the Temp repair? Spray the ignition with some WD40, put the key in as far as it will go in and out a few times... Then with the key all the way in, tap the backside of the key till it goes in. Then turn the key all the way to off and pull key out. put key back in and use as normal. then jsut make sure it is in the off position before you take it out in the future.
smile_m_32.gif
...my dad was a locksmith for years...even owned his own buisness for about 12 years. you learn some stuff. Also, please note. This is a sugestion and I don't take responsibility for your property if you decide to try this. But if it is broke.... what's gonna happen??
smile_m_32.gif

Andrew

Yeah the WD 40 trick does work. Although you will probably have to go to the auto parts store and get a new ignition keyswitch.
What kind of car is it?

Sounds like you might have gotten some modeling clay stuck in there.
smile_m_32.gif

Sounds like you got in the wrong car to me...

lol! I did look around the car for a minute but alas, it was mine!
smile_h_32.gif

I was amazed but Ford got it fixed by 1pm this afternoon (saturday). I ws also stoked when they didn't give me any hassle about my extended warranty and all I had to pay was a $50 deductible. My parents had terible trouble with a volkswagon dealer to make good on their warranty so I was all expecting the worst!

Anyhow, turns out it was the ignition cylinder froze up (looks to me like the shaft that the actual lock goes into). this is the only problem I've had in the 4 1/2 years I've had it. Glad it happened while my warranty is still active, it expires in sept when I'm finally free from the payments! whew!

Another sweet deal, my orchid growing pal told me that the orchid show is extended to two days this year so I will get to go on sunday cos I have a car again! Whooooo! I'll post a photo tour of this years show as soon as I can!

Back