What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craft Store Find

My mom found this the other day at a popular craft store.  It was in the dried flower section and I think she paid around $5 for it.  I couldn't believe it when she sent me the picture.
-Nick
carnivdried0018mu.jpg

At first, I didn't realize what that was, but then I saw it was a Sarracenia clump. There's no way that people grow those plants in a greenhouse for those arrangements; it takes too much time. It kinda sickens me to think where they got it from.
smile_h_32.gif

-Ben

And your right, Ben! Jim Miller and Brooks Garcia were out to do another Cp video on the flowering and first growth of spring. When they got to Citronelle a month after the flowering, they encountered a sad sight. S. alata was everywhere, s. r. ssp. wherryi, and numerous natural hybrids. The spent flowers was all of s. leucophylla left to see. Thankfully, the rhizomes were not taken, but not one s. leuco leaf could be found anywhere. The flower business LOVES s. leucophylla leaves for dressing up their bouquets! And it only costs the s. leucophylla the first of the seasons photosynthesis. Lousy trade off for so magnificent a pitcher plant, but hey, its money in the bank, right? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Methinks Farmer Joe needs to trade the shotgun with rocksalt for an M107 .50 sniper rifle. I don't want the poachers merely dead; I want them gutted, entrail and grey matter splashed for 50 yards behind them as a warning to others!
mad.gif

I prefer a Weatherby Mk V, .308 caliber. I prefered it, way back when. I prefer it now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ][...] but hey, its money in the bank, right? [...]

"Welcome to America's Bank of Corruption: destroying your children and their futures, how may I help you??"
I've got a ski mask, any one else for finding this bank and takin' back that money and putting it to something more constructive than poaching?

They do indeed grow those plants for arranging, If you read Gardening with Carnivores by Nick Romanowski the final chapter is: "Sarracenia as cut flowers, methods of commercial production". So it may not be as nefarious as it looks.

Much to my horror, I saw dried pitcher plants at my local greenhouse (in their flower arrangement section). However, upon closer inspection, I discovered they were FABRIC! Yay! They looked very real. If they can make such good fake ones, why take the real ones?

Maybe we should have a letter-writing campaign...write to your local greenhouses/florists and suggest they go for the fabric ones and leave the real ones to nature.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Feb. 07 2006,6:20)]They do indeed grow those plants for arranging, If you read Gardening with Carnivores by Nick Romanowski the final chapter is: "Sarracenia as cut flowers, methods of commercial production". So it may not be as nefarious as it looks.
I have that book, too, and while I HOPE that the cut pitchers were commercially grown, I expect that many were wild-harvested.

I have enquired about it before, and they never get back to me.

If they were wild collected then it would be poaching. However if the plants grew wild but on thier own property and they don't care that's their decision and not poaching since what's on "your property" is "yours". The problem is no one asked where these came from or how they were collected.

Also if were all against this, why did the person buy them in the first place. Doesn't that increase the idea that these things sell well...

BB gun...............its all i can leagaly have
smilie4.gif
. other than that i say a bazooka......BOOM!

Brooks (sarraceniaobsessed) has seen Citronelle Bog thoroughly violent act. Pitchers, and it turns out, the flowers were taken too. What crap. Rip-off at its very worse.

OHHH Look it's a family affair!! they even have pictures of them harvesting the pitchers.
mad.gif

I wonder if they own that land? Not that it matters that much

While we're on the subject of what's happening to S. leucophylla populations, check this site out. Comments? Click around to see their decriptions of 'wetland delineation' projects.

http://www.gsrcorp.com/tes/rare_plants.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]http://mcnaugthonnursery.tripod.com/Pictures3.htm

At least some of these dried pitchers are wild harvested
smile_h_32.gif

Has anyone ever emailed these people with the very questions that we are asking ourselves right now? It'd be interesting to hear from anyone who has investigated... If no one has, than let it be known so that we can start now.

I just tried three times to email them--got kicked back as undeliverable each time.

PS--I recall someone did contact them some time ago, and mentioned that they bought plants from them!  I'll find that thread...

Oh yeah...here's the thread

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....77;st=0

Back