User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weapon of choice against poachers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Education is the key. BTW, our lifestyle does far more damage to plants and habitats then poachers ever will. Address the source!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (swords @ Feb. 07 2006,6:23)]A lot of plants wouldn't be in circulation/Tissue Culture now if it weren't for poachers (albeit responsible ones). According to Cites poaching includes taking seed pods just as much as it includes taking a whole field full of plants. The history of botany and ornamental plants is rife with poaching. Doesn't make it right but it's true.

What really irks me is that it's illegal for me to save a wild orchid from a construction site yet it's perfectly legal for the highway dept to plow it under, guarenteeing the death of it's genes.
    "At least no darn hippies got their hands on our state flower!"
    I tend to define poachers in an ethical way, rather than legal way.

"Responsible" poaching, done by somebody who knows how to impact the population the least, doesn't count. Collecting that orchid that's about to be plowed under is perfectly fine with me.

If what you are doing will ultimately benefit the wild population, then i don't ethically define it as poaching.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if they're out poaching there's probably plenty of sticks around. I've always been handy with a blunt object. Their own shovel, perhaps? And there's a neat trick for pinning a person to the ground with a stick for a long time without hurting them; I don't remember the name of it, but you can just walk off and it's about as good as tying them to a small tree. I think that would be appropriate for this occasion. I'm not so worried about educating poachers as I am about delivering them to the proper authorities. The poachers already know about what they're doing, for the most part - I'm sure that they notice when the populations they cull from die out.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Feb. 07 2006,8:52)]I think I'd take the person and try to educate them about the importance of leaving the plants in the wild and also point out their beauty, elegance and uniquenss so that they could learn to appreciate them. If that didn't work...I'd report them to the police for trespassing and destroying private property.
    This is just a knee-jerk thread to vent about poaching.

As for attempting to educate, you have two types of poachers, ones who are naive, and want the pretty plant for themselves, and the greedy, who want to make a fast buck. Guess which kind does more damage, and which kind will heed your warnings.

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I've come to the realisation that ~70% of humanity never rises above talking animal. I wouldn't waste my time talking to them; I'd go straight to the police.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How a vft shaped bear trap [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A vile of urine into their eyes (as seen in James Bond) and then a hord of mad weasels down their shirt/pants. It may not kill 'em, but it kills their dignity. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A vat of nepenthes digestive juices would be my starting point. I believe I read on the carnivorous plant FAQ that a vft could eat small bits of human tissue. So I'd break out my machete and...you know... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Feb. 07 2006,5:39)]collecting plants does not mean poaching. They are two different things.

I like my ak-47 for long range or my .45 for up close. But nothing can beat the feeling of taking them out with just my bare hands.
    Quote[/b] ]That's true Ozzy they are different to us the plant lovers. However if you tried to argue the legality of "collecting VS poaching" after being caught you'd still be up the proverbial creek. Cites and wildlife departments don't fool around.
    Unless a plant is listed as protected, threatened, of special concern, or endangered, it is perfectly legal to collect said plant. In fact as part of my schooling, as a Natural Resource Technician, I as well as the other 50 or so students in the program were required to put together a herbarium collection. Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea as well as D. rotundifolia, were on out lists of plants to collect, as neither has any special status in Wisconsin. Ofcourse I couldn't bring myself to collect either, and just collected more common Bog plants to fill that part of the asignment.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast