What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone running a commercial type website?

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
im thinking of setting something up but am not sure how to go about the hosting part. i want someplace to host it that wont insert their own ads and such plus be reliable,and yes i know i will have to pay for such a thing. anyways im interested in comments from the been there do that types.

I sorta do. http://www.scarsdaleconcours.com It's a website for a fund raising car show in my town but its not quite commercial. Look into GoDaddy (you may recognize the name from the Superbowl) and Bravenet. You'll have bit a learning to do but there's a lot on the web to help you out. PM me with any questions!
smile.gif

~ Brett

I sort of work for a hosting company... that is I work for a web design company and the hosting company is run through the same office. I guess I'm considered the "webmaster" (being the person who built them or who knows the most about them) for at least 30 sites.

It's not the cheapest service out there (starts at $15/month or so) but I have full access to whatever settings you would need made. So rather than submitting a support ticket or something and wondering when it'll get done by some stranger, or wading through configurations that don't really make sense, you just tell me what you want done and it's done.

It may be way more than you're looking for, but you wanted comments.
smile.gif

Are you doing something for the paper's website? People around the world check in to see what's going on in Wolf Point and it's always the same, "High Winds Cause Damage Throughout Northeast Montana." It gets old after a while.

Take a look at my host company: www.hostultra.com you can get your own domain for like $8 and I get a year of 1 gig server space for like $50 I have/had about six domains at one time on one account. I can have unlimited domains but have to pay a tad more for unlimited server space but still a crazy good deal. And no unauthorized ads!

You'll have to learn basic web design unless you hire someone to do that cos they don't do that they'll just host whatever you put up (probly not naughty pics though-ha ha)!  
smile_n_32.gif

Anyway, i used to use Netscape communicator but now I have Dreamweaver MX studio (I hardly use any of the advanced functions though). But I like it 100% better than MS Front Page cos Dreamweaver is setup the way I like to work in classic page layout styles with the drag drop text and image boxes just like Quark only in WYSIWYG html!

Good luck!

hahaha Bruce, but yes im thinking of doing a "newspaper type" site but want it seperate from the Herald(deal fell through and im thinking doing "region" and not "local" type stuff as no one is currently doing it anywhere near here). i know basic web design. im going to do some rough figuring of what i want to do this weekend while the wife is busy doing programing and present the idea to her.

i guess basically im just looking for a host that will alow me to do my own changes on my own time and not have to submit "change orders"

Typically all hosting is like that... you upload and download pages at will (with an FTP program). The changes you might need from the hosting people are related more to actual server settings.

Back