What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

problem that i need a solution to

ok..well i love plants..as i am sure many here do..my room is literally filled with plants..well..this brings me to a problem.. i am a sophmore in highschool and well college is coming i have to live in a dorm at least a year before i can live "off campus" which means no room for plants..so my problem is..what do i do with them? my parents taking care of them..well they would all die before i was gone a week..well not all of them but my mom has no clue about many of my plants..any suggestions? Thanks

Brad

y dont you ask the people ont the boards to plantsitt them for you?

Might be a stupid question,but do you have a friend (that grows cps) that lives close that could keep them for you?Or you can educate your mother about cp and their care.Or you can send them to me.....LOL.

Jerry

well..noone on the boards is very close to me..i do know of one..but i believe hes busy to..i live in south dakota.. i dont know anyone that grows cps in south dakota except of the one board member who..is around 2-3 hours away from me, and is mentioned above. about educating my mom..well that possible and i think i will go to a college about 3-4 hours away from my house so i will maybe come home everyweek end. so i think she may be able to handle it but..idk.

thanks

Brad

You shouldn't be worrying yet, you're to young. You can grow a lot of plants in three years so have a good time while you can. I'm actually in the same spot, except I'm a junior. It's kinda frustrating, because I don't have time to raise any more sarracenia from seed. When the time comes, I'm thinking I'll leave the rarer/nicer specimens with experienced growers and or donate to botanic gardens. And with the common plants I'll jest make a bunch of people happy
smile.gif

When I move into a dorm I want to bring an amorphophallus tuber with me
biggrin.gif

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Feb. 10 2006,10:13)]....When I move into a dorm I want to bring an amorphophallus tuber with me
biggrin.gif

Peter
I love to see the reactions when they all bloom...hehehe
smile_n_32.gif
. Probably clear out the whole dorm for a couple weeks. lol

my job keeps me away from my plants for two weeks at a time. they're in a terrarium under lights on the tray method with no human intervention while i'm gone. so far, they're not doing bad. i just have to make sure that i water them when i am home.
all my outside plants are in giant pots that will hold enough water for 2 weeks, should there be a drought while i'm gone.

there's ways to make it work if you want it too. send me a pm with any questions you have.

peace,
tech...

im a freshman!
biggrin.gif

You do have a couple years ahead of you to befriend someone and spread the gospel of CP's! One of our forum members keeps some of her plants in her dorm room, under lights. I'm sure you'll also have a window sill for tyhe many that do well, open tray.

I have no idea what kind of schools you're thinking of going to...but if you go to one like mine with a plant science program or large biology program and quite a few greenhouses, you might be able to talk the department into letting you keep the plants at the school as some sort of learning exhibit.  You might even be able to get some sort of credit for it, keeping the plants at the school and taking care of them.  Let's face it, CPs are cool...professors would love to show them to students!

Good thinking, Presto! Try that one, Spike.

Back