What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any mac users?

• Thread starter firewired
  • Start date
Hey everyone. Long time no type....

I was just curious if there are any Mac users on here. I have been a PC user all my life, and started working on a mac about a year ago. I think I am going to purchase my first mac ever as soon as the macbook pro is released with the 17" screen (hopefully soon). This will be my first mac and my first laptop. I'm pretty excited! I hope it isn't too long before that is released.

Are there any mac users on the forum or are most of you PC people?

Joel

Mac at work and PC at home
smile.gif

I use mac. Unfortunately, mine is 7 years old and OSX confuses me now. It is too much like Windows in my opinion.

-D. Lybrand

I'm a Mac geek too. Macs are fun, but getting more complicated now that they run on a UNIX-based operating system. It'll definitely be worth your time to learn to use the UNIX-compatible features of OS X; there is lots of free software out there if you know how to work it. Those MacBook Pros look pretty nifty - too bad the name is so dorky! ;)
~Joe

Mac user here, I have this mini and a G3 ibook, dual USB. Ditched Windows 5 years ago. I had enough of all the viruses,worms and other secruity issues. Now they want to charge (read extort) their users $50 for their new "security" product. LOL!

Tom

Oh God, Don't let Pak see the topic about Mac's. We'll never hear the end of it.

confused.gif

---------------------
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Seeeeeeeeee!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Wooooooooohooo!

We're still using OS 9 until Quark 7 comes out in a few months. Can't wait to use lovely X again
smile.gif

Windows XP looks like something out of Playschool.

i am a mac addict..i have Emac for my home use but at school they use windows..urg..

MACS ARE THE BEST>>>>>>>>>

thanks

BRad

Mac at school, fix other people's windows (and use it for game,) and Linux for any serious business. I haven't had an excess of time working with MAC OS, but as things run, it's not half bad, wouldn't mind a console, though! Don't dig XP in any case, so I'm still using 98 (JUST upgraded to SE.) Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy your new laptop!

I am a major mac addict... I'm so addicted to macs, I cant stand anything else.
If I were you, I would not buy mac book just yet.
Why? Apple is notoroius for using people as testing rats when they release something new... especially the new processor machines.
I'd wait some time untill future generations of this technology, and then buy it, after they fix the hardware bugs etc.
For now... I'm using a MacMini and quite happy with it.

I used to be a Mac user a long time ago and then switched to PC and Windows, which I've been using for a good 5 plus years. I can't stand all the problems my PCs have though, so I'm seriously considering making my next computer a Mac.

I'm just too in love with iTunes! iTunes has seriously made music a thousand times more enjoyable for me. I buy all my music in their store and use the program to hold ALL of my songs. Plus I have an iPod.

There's no reason I shouldn't have a Mac
biggrin.gif

hehehehe   Mac person here too!  I love Macs; hate PCs.  Stuck on a %$#@! PC at work but have a Mac at home.  Unfortunately the home Mac is aging and is greatly in need of upgrading but that takes money I don't have.  
smile_h_32.gif
 Sooo...I'm kinda stuck in Mac Dark Ages for now. So I think it's time I kick Ozzy in the keister for editing my post!

But gradually people are trying Macs and seeing what they have been missing all these years.  
laugh.gif

smile_n_32.gif

Macs look awesome but unfortunately it ends there. Really great for photo/video editing but that's about it. As for the viruses on PCs, that depends on the person. I haven't gotten not single virus in years.

A lot more usability research has goon into the mac... much of the windows interface was copied (badly, since they didn't understand it) from what Apple and other people have done.

Though I'm wondering when we'll break out of the "desktop" model completely. A lot of the original interface research for personal computers came out of places like MIT and Xerox PARC, and conceptually they've now grown beyond a lot of all that and the OS makers haven't really followed along. Until someone does that I can't be fanatical about any of them.

I doubt either company will have the guts to do it. Apple won't because it has to stay "better than Windows" rather than "different from Windows" in order to get all those users to switch over and not scare people off... and Microsoft won't do it because innovation is something they're historically incapable of (they just buy and break other people's innovations).

Guess we need a dark horse. Maybe the Amiga will come back.
smile.gif

And for the people who don't like XP because it looks weird compared to 98/2000... you do know about Classic Mode, don't you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Feb. 13 2006,4:53)]and Microsoft won't do it because innovation is something they're historically incapable of (they just buy and break other people's innovations).
So true. Microsoft's only concern is that the products they launch will beat everyone elses.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Macs look awesome but unfortunately it ends there. Really great for photo/video editing but that's about it.

That's why Mac magazines are only 5 pages thick then since they can't do anything else apart from edit a few photos?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Feb. 13 2006,5:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Macs look awesome but unfortunately it ends there. Really great for photo/video editing but that's about it.

That's why Mac magazines are only 5 pages thick then since they can't do anything else apart from edit a few photos?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
In comparison to windows it is. IMO, you shouldn't adopt a system that software developers consider second when releasing software. The majority of gamers and computer junkies hate mac because of that (compatibility). If Macs where more generic, everyone would probably prefer one to Windows. Gamers are stuck with windows.

gamers stuck on windows..thats so true, before i got my own computer which is a mac.. i was always "stuck" with my moms windows computer bc it couldnt handle the games..now with my mac..i aint stuck in games anymore..lol...

macs rule all the universe....

Brad

I am a big fan of both. I have used a PC all my life.....but am using a mac at work. IMO....Mac is more user friendly and organized with the way you can browse files. I also love the look they have. I haven't worked much on a fast mac....the one at work is only a 867 mhz with 512 MB of ram. I am a graphic designer, and handle some huge files....some even getting close to half a gigabyte. It takes me sooooo long to open/save these files! I'm looking forward to buying a fast one for myself.

Dimka, I have heard that Mac does use consumers to do alot of the testing. I could really use a laptop now though.....I've been getting a fair amount of freelance work, and need to have the portability to take my work with me wherever I need to go. So I guess we'll see.

Mac does have security updates and patches don't they? Similar to windows updates? Shouldn't these fix any bugs they have?

I suppose if it is a hardware issue there isn't much they can do about it. I guess we'll see....I might just buy one anyway
biggrin.gif

Back