What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those of you who use live Sphagnum Moss

My method for growing sphagnum is:

1. Fill these little plastic deli cups with about 1/2" dried sphagnum
2. Swamp it with distilled water.
3. Sow heads of live sphagnum.
4. Keep it in bright light.
5. Reswamp whenever the water level drops (every 2-3 days here).

It's rather tedious keeping the trays filled if you've got a lot of them, but you won't have any problems with mold, and it grows faster than any sundew.

Peter

Jimscott: Great photos! By potting mix what I was thinking is that if you could grow sphagnum in large quantities...if you grow small numbers of plants you might not need to by any more peat/dried moss. Think I ought to get in on this. I have moss growing in my mini bog but I don't think it is sphagnum.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ Feb. 28 2006,3:46)]http://www.pitcherplant.org/catalog.htm

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Due to plant quarantines on soil mixes we do not ship live sphagnum moss to the following states: AZ, CA, ID, NV, OR, UT or WA     
That's not entirely true. California doesn't have a quarantine against live sphagnum. Many of us Californian hobbiests here have it shipped in by the bushell full every year with no problems. At least no problems for the last 15 years from the other suppliers. Don't know for certain, but it's possible some soil pathogens were found in their plants and/or soils and these states have restricted them from shipping there.

Back