Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who use live Sphagnum Moss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

My local home depot didn't have it, and I called 2 local nurseries, they didn't have it either.

Have you seen it sold in a particular mass retail store?

Thank you, I notice plants thrive and flourish in live sphagnum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only place I've seen it sold live is California Carnivores. They sell it by the pint I think. If you ask me, it's easier to grow it yourself from dead LFS strands.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! How does one go about growing live sphagnum from dried strands? have you done this before?

thank you very much.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can buy compressed sphagnum moss. When you add water it imbibes and expands greatly. Friom there you place it in a consistantly moist and warm place and you should eventually start to see live strands starting to grow.

I've had the most success in the bottom of my highland tank where there's always water (or at least very high humidity,) and good light. Strong direct light coupled with low humidity will just dry out living sphagnum. It requires a bit of patience, and sometimes this method is best complimented by buying a little bit of live sphagnum for the time being.

You don't need to do much special. If you've got plants that are in conditions similar to those in which sphagnum will grow well, then you can use it as a top dressing on the media which can help the plant, as well.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowes (I think) sells a light colored dried sphagnum labeled "Orchid Moss" or something like that. I've had great success resurrecting that stuff. The darker Canadian sphagnum moss I've bought in other places has been ~lifeless. I plant Neps and Sarrs in a 50/50 or so mix of the dark stuff with sponge rock and top-dress with 1/2" of the good stuff and get live moss in most pots. It doesn't usually stay green through the winter in Nep pots, but often comes back to life when the Neps go back out for summer.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Canadian sphag grows into thin, dark green strands whereas New Zealand and Chilean sphag grow into thicker, light green clumps (go with the New Zealand if possible).

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can be found on ebay pretty often too... see: http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-LI....iewItem

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some live LFS I should be able to send you. I'll have to check how it is doing, since I have most of it baggies, in the cold attic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast