What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp Books

I will list all the CP books I ever had (if I can remember the names of the Titles!).
May 1961 National Geographic "Plants That Eat Insects"
By: Paul A Zahl
Still have this one.

Plants that Eat Insects 1964 Lynn and Gray Poole*

Carnivorous Plants Randall Schwartz*
Thanks, Mike!

Carnivorous Plants Adrian Slack*

Plants That Eat Insects (Or Adrian Slack*
izzit, Insect Eating Plants?)

Carnivorous Plants of Australia Vol. 1 Allan Lowrie*

Gardening With Carnivores Nick Romanowski

The Savage Garden Peter D'Amato

Carnivorous Plants of The US Dr. Donald Schnell
and Canada Second Edition

Anything with an asterisk is gone. Sold to someone who wanted it worse than me. One book is not listed as I forgot Title and Author.

HAH! FINALLY I have something that Bugweed doesn't have more of...BOOKS!!! LOL

I have,

The Savage Garden, by Peter D'amato
Carnivorous Plants of the World, by James and Patricia Pietropaolo
Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada, second edition, by Donald Schnell
Gardening With Carnivores, by Nick Romanowski
Insectivorous plants, second edition (Hardback edition published in 1899) by Charles Darwin
Carnivorous Plants, by Randall Schwartz

and, get this...

Elizabite: Adventures of a Carnivorous Plant, by H. A. Rey (including the audio tape!)

Mike Howlett

That's one of the one's I couldn't remember. Carnivorous Plants by Randall Schwartz Thanks, Mike!

RATS!!! Bugs has me tied. But, but, but...you don't have H.A. Rey's book...

Mike

So? You don't have, and probably never have had the book written for the old Armstrong Associates who in the 60's was one of our oh so few CP outlets. The book was out of print, and bought from the Oakland Public library for a pittance. I sold the copy for $100.00.
Another book, read by many CP enthusiasts at the time, even though it had very little on CP, and the pics black and white, was "North With the Spring" by Edwin Way Teale. Like I said, not much on the CP, but we were just as hungry for info then, as any newbie is now. The difference? There was almost no info at all for us in the early 60's, and much of our learning was trial and error. And, NO FORUMS from which to learn about these plants, and how to grow them correctly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And, NO FORUMS from which to learn about these plants, and how to grow them correctly.

Oh, the horror!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Nightmare you mean! You guys have it great now. So much has been learned and things started up like the ICPS and CPN, and our knowledge started to grow in leaps and bounds. Now, CP info is everywhere. Must be nice for those coming up behind to have so much good info.

Yeah, it seems like there's a ton of info out there now. I'm glad we have all the resources!

I think all I've got is:

Borneo: It's mountains, lowlands and their Pitcher Plants
Carnivorous Plants T. Camileri
Carnivorous Plants A. Slack
Carnivorous Plants of the USA & Canada
Carnivorous Plants of New Zealand
Carnivorous Plants of The World
Flora Malesiana, Series 1 Volume 15: Nepenthaceae
Gardening With Carnivores
Nepenthes of Borneo
Nepenthes of Sumatra
Pitcher Plants of Sabah
Pitcher Plants of Peninsular Malaysia
Pitcher Plants of Borneo
Pocket guide to the Pitcher Plants of Sarawak
Savage Garden
The Genus Utricularia

For anyone interested to know, you can follow the cultivation instruction books for epiphytic orchids almost to the letter to successfully cultivate Nepenthes, just lay off the fertilizer. pot flushing, bright lighting and humiidty are all similar.
biggrin.gif

Savage garden, Peter D'amato (signed)
Carnivorous plants of the world, James and Patricia Pietropaolo
The world of Carnivorous plants James Pietropaolo (paperback)
Carnivorous Plants Marcel Lecouffle
Carnivorous plants, Adrian Slack
Insect eating plants and how to grow them, Adrian Slack
Carnivorous plants, Tony Camilleri
Carnivorous plants of the United States and Canada, Donald Schnell first and second edition
The Carnivorous Plants, Francis Earnest Lloyd
Cultivating Carnivorous plants, Allan A. Swenson
The Wisley handbook of Carnivorous plants Paul Temple (signed)
the carnivorous plants of Australia volume1,2, 3, Allen Lowrie
Nepenthes of Borneo Charles Clarke
Nepenthes of Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia
Carnivorous plants, Gordon Cheers
Have paperback book by Gordon Cheers too...
Nepenthes of Mount Kinabalu
masoslav rostliny (not sure if spelled correctly but Czech for carnivorous plants)
Video tape of second ICPS Meeting Bonn Germany 1998
Carnivorous Plants of Northwest and Canada Hawkeye Rondeau
A japanese book on CP that I absolutely can't read title(great pictures though!!)

Kirk
Fitchburg, MA

Whoops forgot:
Erickson, Rica: "Plants of Prey in Australia

Got Alan Swenson's book too

Now if I just had a little more time to read

Kirk

Tonight I can add Nepenthes of Mt Kinabalu to my list, Can't wait for it to arrive I've wanted it a long time!
smile.gif

Just put in my order request for Dr. Barry M. Rice's soon-to-be released book. Amazon.com allows pre-orders ($39.95)
but Barry still isn't sure if the book is to be printed.
So... if enough people pre-order could help sway the publisher to allow the book.

Kirk Martin

At one time Amazon was offering Carnivorous and Parasitic Plants of South Africa and I was on the preorder list for it but after like 6 months they drop your name and you have to resign up (they email and tell you to). I don't think that book I preordered was ever offered again. At least you don't pay until it's ready and on it's way.

Back